Household recycling centres
4. Permits and site restrictions
Do I need a permit?
Most people visit the sites in cars and do not need a permit to visit. You only need ato visit a site if you are:
- disposing of asbestos in any vehicle
- using a commercial vehicle
- using a trailer bigger than 0.9m x 1.2m
- on foot
If you need a permit, visit the Waste Permit page
Vehicles not allowed
For safety and capacity reasons these vehicles are not allowed into any site:
- a vehicle with more than 4 wheels unless at a council trade waste HRC
- a vehicle weighing more than 7.5 tonnes
- a trailer larger than 2.4m long x 1.8m wide, up to 60cm high with a cover and excluding tow bar
- a vehicle with a tipper or tail lift mechanism
Sites are not fitted with height barriers, but staff will turn away residents who arrive in the above vehicles.
Waste left outside the gates
Any waste left outside the gates is fly-tipping, anyone caught will be liable for prosecution.
Each site has CCTV for site security, health and safety of the public and operatives.
Sites also have automatic number plate recognition (ANPR) cameras to investigate fly-tipping and suspected traders depositing waste free of charge. The cameras also help monitor site usage and develop our services.
Last updated: 1 December 2020