Household recycling centres opening hours and locations

1. Household recycling centres opening hours and locations

Opening hours

  • Summer 1 April to 30 September: 9am to 6pm
  • Winter - 1 October to 31 March: 9am to 4pm

All sites are open 7 days a week, except Aylesbury, Burnham and Chesham, which close on Wednesdays and Thursdays.

All sites close on 25 December, 26 December and 1 January.

Recycling in your area - The waste wizard


2. Access and site restrictions

You can only visit a household recycling centre in a car, van, or small trailer.

Vehicles with trailers larger than 1.2m x 1.8m may only visit;

  • Aylesbury
  • Amersham
  • Aston Clinton
  • Beaconsfield
  • High Wycombe

You will need a permit to visit a site if you are:

  • disposing of asbestos in any vehicle
  • using a commercial vehicle
  • on foot
  • using any vehicle with a trailer larger than 1.2m x 0.9m


Banned vehicles

For safety and capacity reasons these are not allowed into any site:

  • a vehicle with more than 4 wheels unless at a BCC Trade waste HRC
  • a vehicle weighing more than 7.5 tonnes
  • a trailer larger than 2.4m long x 1.8m wide, up to 60cm high with a cover and excluding tow bar
  • a vehicle with a tipper or tipping tail lift mechanism
  • horseboxes
  • tractors

Also banned are vehicles carrying commercial waste, unless paying separately to dispose of commercial waste


Access on foot

To ensure that the health and safety of anyone walking waste into the sites an e-permit is required.


Waste left outside the gates

Any waste left outside the gates is fly-tipping, anyone caught will be liable for prosecution.

Each site has CCTV for site security, health and safety of the public and operatives.

Sites also have automatic number plate recognition (ANPR) cameras to investigate fly-tipping and suspected traders depositing waste free of charge. The cameras also help monitor site usage and develop our services.

3. Charity and business waste


All charities and other voluntary/non-registered/not-for-profit organisations must contact the Environment Agency (EA) for a waste carrier licence or exemption and complete a WMC2 form.

This includes organisations such as:

  • churches
  • youth clubs
  • town and parish councils

You can view registration requirements online (via gov.uk) or by calling 08708 506 506. This will enable the EA to decide if it is appropriate to issue an exemption certificate. 

Once these details have been verified, please request a waste permit, providing this information.

Charity permits will only be issued to addresses in Buckinghamshire. Changes of address will require re-registration. Charities must show their waste carriers licence or exemption (as applicable) when disposing of waste at BCC HRCs.

All charities have to pay to dispose of non-household waste, visit the Charges for non-household waste page for prices

Charities cannot dispose of any of the following items:

  • asbestos
  • hazardous waste 
  • lead acid (vehicle) batteries
  • chemicals
  • any electrical items e.g. fridges/freezers, TVs & monitors, small appliances
  • light bulbs or fluorescent tube lights
  • gas bottles
  • cooking or engine oil
  • tyres

Charities are permitted to visit our recycling centres Monday to Friday only.

Business waste

We can only accept business waste at five of our household recycling centres. Please visit our Business Waste pages for more information


4. Types of waste we accept

Most household waste can be brought to our recycling centres, use the waste wizard below to search for specific items.

What to recycle where - Waste Wizard

There are restrictions on some types of waste.

Waste accepted for a charge

The council introduced charges for non-household waste. To find out what waste is non-household and what the charges are visit the Charges for non-household waste page

Waste accepted with limits

  • Batteries (eg. torch type and small rechargeable)
  • Car batteries – max. 2 per year
  • Car tyres – max. 5 car tyres per year
  • Waste engine oil – max. 10 litres per year
  • Light bulbs and Fluorescent tubes - max. 4 fluorescent tubes per year

Waste accepted at specific sites only

Only Amersham, Aston Clinton, Aylesbury, Beaconsfield, High Heavens and Langley centres accept these wastes.

  • Asbestos
  • Plasterboard
  • Garden Chemicals

Find out more about disposing of these types of waste

Waste not accepted

  • Dead animals, carcasses and faeces
  • Large quantities of animal bedding (allow 1-2 bags per week from small domestic pets, must be double bagged).
  • Materials presenting a direct contact risk
  • Tree trunks and branches thicker than 20cm and or longer than 2m
  • Flammable liquids and explosives eg. petrol / fireworks / ammunition

5. What happens to the waste?

Most of the materials brought to the household recycling centres can be recycled. In 2017-18 more than 70% was recycled or composted.

It is important that the materials brought into the sites are treated properly and tracked until they have been:

  • recycled
  • composted
  • disposed of

You can see where all the materials we receive are taken to in our recycling destinations guide.


6. Waste we charge for

By law, Buckinghamshire County Council must accept day-to-day household waste free of charge, for example garden waste, electricals, and paper. Waste, such as landscaping, construction, or demolition waste is classed as 'non-household waste' and is expensive for us to dispose of. We are allowed by law to charge for these items to offset the cost of disposal.

Traders and businesses should still use the existing commercial waste service.

How much will it cost?

View the full price list

Part bags will be charged as per whole. Other construction & demolition items may be liable to be charged at a similar rate as stated in the table, in line with current legislation.


How can I pay?

Before unloading your waste, please see a member of site staff who will work out how much you need to pay. Payments will be accepted via credit, debit, or pre-paid payment card only. 

Cash payments will not be accepted.


What waste can be charged for?

Chargeable waste is non-household waste items, which are set out in UK Environmental Law.

As a general rule, non-household waste items are materials created from the construction, demolition, alteration or repair of a home or garden. Any amount of non-household waste can be charged for, please use the price list above.

At least 75% of the waste brought to sites remains free. You are still be able to dispose of all household waste free of charge at any of the county's Household Recycling Centres. The guide below shows general categories of waste, to find out whether a specific item is chargeable, please refer to the price list.

Free to dispose of

Charge for disposal

Charges apply for some items

Garden waste Hardcore and rubble Wood and timber
Household waste Building materials inc bathroom and kitchen items Scrap metal
Furniture inc. broken up/dismantled  Plasterboard

Please refer to full price list for details

Electrical appliances Fence panels and sheds  


Cardboard Tyres  
Carpet Windows and doors  


Clothes & textiles    
Engine Oil    
Cooking Oil    















Please refer to full price list before visiting site

Why am I being charged?

Non-household waste is expensive for us to dispose of and we are not obliged to provide residents with a disposal site for non-household waste.

We recognise that many householders carry out small projects from time to time. By applying a small charge this allows us to continue accepting these types of non-household waste.


Other ways to dispose of non-household waste

Despite the changes, residents can still bring the same types of waste to a recycling centre as they could before, but some will now incur a charge.

Many people only bring materials that do not have charges, so they should be able to use the sites unaffected. However, some alternatives are listed below. Ensure you use the SCRAP code to make sure your waste is dealt with properly.

Sell/donate items

Many items of waste, like bathroom suites or sheds have still got a value. They could be sold via online sites like Ebay, Facebook Marketplace or Freegle where the items can be posted for free.

Hire a skip

There are many sizes and varieties of skip and bag services available to hire. The charges for non-household waste in Buckinghamshire are relatively low, but can add up when doing a large project, so a skip hire maybe cheaper.

Ensure your waste will be disposed of correctly by following the SCRAP code.

Pay a contractor to dispose of your waste

Lots of non-household waste is created when carrying out home improvement projects.

Residents can ask the contractor working on their home to take away the waste with them. This may incur a charge, but may be less expensive than visiting the Household Recycling Centre.

Ensure the contractor will dispose of the waste correctly and follow the SCRAP code.