Business waste

Any waste that comes from a commercial activity is business waste. If you use part of your home to run your business then any waste from that part is business waste. Councils have no duty to dispose of commercial waste for free.

Business have a duty to:


What to do with business waste

There are many companies and local authorities that offer waste management services. If small businesses wish to dispose of their own waste, they can bring it to one of the five facilities run by the council open Monday to Friday, 9am to 4pm (Oct-Mar) and 9am to 6pm (Apr-Sep):

Check out our trade waste prices

These items are not accepted from business sources:

  • air conditioning units
  • asbestos
  • batteries
  • chemicals and paint
  • commercial fridge/freezers
  • computer monitors
  • fluorescent tube lights
  • gas bottles
  • oils (cooking and engine oil)
  • televisions and tyres


Using a commercial vehicle

If you want to take your personal household waste in a commercial vehicle, you will need a permit. Find out more about applying for a waste permit.

However, if you are carrying waste for someone else then it is business waste and should be taken to one of the five sites that accept business waste.


Waste Carrier Licence

Anyone transporting business waste should have a waste carriers licence. The Environment Agency provide Waste Carrier Licensing. To contact their helpline call, 03708 506 506.

Residents and businesses should only give their waste to a licensed person or to a Waste Manager who is authorised to accept the waste. They should always ask to see a company's waste carrier registration or contact the Environment Agency for an instant Waste Carrier Validation check


Was this page helpful?

Very poor
Neither good nor poor
Very good