Transport plans and policies
2. Aylesbury and Buckingham transport strategies
In order to support the planned growth for Aylesbury and Buckingham, two transport strategies have been developed: the Aylesbury and the Buckingham Transport Strategy. These strategies have identified a range of measures which will help to manage the transport impacts of this growth. This work has been jointly developed by Buckinghamshire County Council and Aylesbury Vale District Council.
Aylesbury Transport Strategy
The Aylesbury Transport Strategy sets out the improvements needed to support proposed growth in the town between 2016 – 2033.
The draft Vale of Aylesbury Local Plan identifies Aylesbury as playing a critical role in delivering growth for the district and the rest of Buckinghamshire. The town has also been recently awarded Government backing as a Garden Town and will be a focus for:
- 15,000 new market and affordable housing
- new investment in economic activity and regeneration
- new retail and employment development
The also addresses current issues on the transport network. It forms a key transport policy document for both BCC and Aylesbury Vale District Council (AVDC).
The main transport improvements identified in the Aylesbury Transport Strategy are:
- Implementing a series of link roads around the town to divert cross town and through town traffic
- Improving cycling and pedestrian links
- Improving transport links to the Aylesbury train stations
- Improving the local and regional bus network
- Upgrading the existing bus station
- Ensure accessibility for all within the town and to key destinations
Buckingham Transport Strategy
The growth aspirations in the Vale of Aylesbury Local Plan (VALP) are likely to have an impact on transport requirements in Buckingham. The aim of the BTS is to consider growth aspirations holistically and propose measures that address their impacts as a whole, rather than the impact of each individual development. The Buckingham Transport Strategy also addresses existing transport issues in the town.
The main transport improvements identified in the BTS are:
- Western Link Road - Single carriageway between Stowe Ave and A421 with aim of reducing traffic (including HGV) movements through the town centre
- Route downgrade of West St/Brackley Rd
- Improving bus connections to Winslow
- Expanding or relocating the town centre bus stand
- Improving walking and cycling accessibility within the town and to other destinations such as Milton Keynes and Silverstone
Last updated: 26 April 2019