A413 Sustainable Travel Scheme
Buckingham - Winslow cycleway extension scheme
In February 2017, Buckinghamshire County Council via Transport for Buckinghamshire delivered a 9km shared cycle and footway with Real Time Passenger Information along the A413 between Buckingham (from Tesco roundabout) to Winslow.
The A413 Sustainable Travel Scheme is primarily funded from the government's Local Growth Fund, through the Buckinghamshire Thames Valley Local Enterprise Partnership.
The scheme aims to encourage sustainable travel via bus, cycling and walking to the village/ town centres and the planned east-west (Winslow) train station as well as other local destinations along the A413 corridor.
Buckinghamshire County Council Transport Cabinet Member Mark Shaw and the Cabinet Member for Resources, John Chilver, visited the new cycleway on 25 October 2017 to see the works that have been completed and to have a bicycle ride.
We are now working on plans to extend the new cycleway along the A413 into the Buckingham Town Centre.
Buckingham - Winslow cycleway extension proposal is a continuation of the completed walking and cycling improvements along the A413 corridor from Winslow town centre to the Lace Hill roundabout in Buckingham.
The Buckingham - Winslow cycleway extension scheme is part of the Buckingham cycling strategy, developed in partnership by the County Council and Buckingham Town Council. This proposal will help to complete a high-quality walking and cycle link between the heart of Winslow and Buckingham town centres. The scheme is funded by developer contributions of £350,000.
It is our intention to deliver the scheme in two phases:
The route from where the A413 Sustainable Travel Scheme ends on the east side of the A413 to the Buckingham town centre (see plan below).
The route uses Hare Close and progresses on-road towards Badgers Way, takes a left-hand turn and follows Badgers Way to the junction with Burton Road. The path will then continue into Bourton Park using existing footpath which will be resurfaced where required, crossing the river twice and finishing at the back of Cornwall's Meadow car park.
- Public consultation completed - 28 January 2018
- Cabinet Member key decision to implement phase 1 signed - 06 March 2018
- Construction started 23 July 2018 and is now substantially complete
Shared cycle-footway on the western side of A413 London Road providing connections to the Swan Pool, The Buckingham School and The Royal Latin School.
- Public consultation completed - 4 August 2018
- All comments received during the consultation period have been evaluated.
- To complete remedial works and undertake Road Safety Audit - Stage 3, after scheme completion - in the coming months
- A Cabinet Member report for phase 2 is being produced as part of the final decision process. The report will set out the general outcome and support for phase 2 and will be published on the Buckinghamshire County Council website in October / November 2018.
Bulletins and plans
- Buckingham - Winslow cycleway extension bulletin #003
- Buckingham - Winslow cycleway extension bulletin #002
- Buckingham - Winslow cycleway extension bulletin #001
- A413 sustainable travel scheme #006
- A413 sustainable travel scheme #005
- A413 sustainable travel scheme #004
- A413 sustainable travel scheme #003
- A413 sustainable travel scheme #002
- A413 sustainable travel scheme #001
- Traffic management plan 1
- Traffic management plan 2
- Winslow & district LAF update, 5 December 2017
Emergency contact numbers
Transport for Buckinghamshire Out of office (Highways): 01296 486630