Tips for Winter Driving
Whether you are an experienced motorist, older driver or just passed your test, here are a few tips on how to stay safe this winter:
- Only travel when absolutely necessary
- Allow more time for your journey
- Slow down and leave increased space between you and the vehicle in front
- Plan your journey.
Keep the following in the car:
- De-icing equipment
- Warm clothes
- Food & drink
- High visibility jacket
- First aid kit
- A hazard warning triangle
- Mobile Phone (fully charged)
- Wellington boots
- Your tyres are at the correct pressures.
- Your vehicle lights are clean and working.
- Your wiper blades are effective.
- Your battery is in good condition and fully charged.
- Your vehicle anti-freeze is the right concentration (your garage can do this for you).
- Your windows and mirrors are clear of ice or condensation.
- You have plenty of fuel.
Knowing about the road conditions and weather forecasts can help with journey planning, so listen to local radio weather and traffic reports.
Further winter driving safety advice is available on the following websites;