- Salt bins are provided at various locations throughout the County to allow drivers and pedestrians to treat localised icy conditions.
- Salt bins will be replenished with a 50/50 mix of salt and sharp sand. This mixture will continue to deliver de-icing and traction properties.
- Salt from these bins is solely for the use on the public roads and pavements and should not be removed for private use.
- Salt bins are restocked before and during the winter season as operational priorities allow.
- We are able to sell salt bins to private organisations with links to BCC, such as
- Social Care properties
- Education locations
- Bucks Fire & Rescue
- We will consider requests for new salt bins at known trouble spots on the public highway. Although funding for new salt bins will need to be provided externally.
It may be possible for other private organisations to purchase a salt bin, but each request will need to be considered on merit. Initial setup costs are the same as new salt bins on the public highway (£450).
Once installed, we will have no future liability for them, beyond the limits of the public highway. Although it may be possible for TfB to restock these bins at a cost of £100 per occasion.
For new estate roads: all new salt bin requirements will be assessed. The developer would fund the cost of the new salt bin (£450 ea.) and salt.
All salt bins supplied by TfB are to the current approved standard.
The County Council does not plan to replenish road side salt heaps as concentrations of saline run off may harm the local environment.