Safe driving tips

1. Safe driving tips


Eyesight can get worse at any time and can not only affect driving skills directly, but also can result in tiredness. 



Mobile Phones

Using a mobile phone, sat nav or any similar device whilst driving means that the driver’s attention is distracted from the road. Studies show that drivers using a hands-free or handheld mobile phone are slower at reacting to hazards. Even careful drivers can be distracted by a call or text – and a split-second lapse in concentration could result in a crash.



Seat Belts

Always wear a seatbelt. In a crash you’re twice as likely to die if you don’t. Not wearing a seatbelt can be a fatal decision even on short, familiar journeys and at low speeds. Wear your seatbelt correctly so it can offer you the best possible protection in a crash.


Child car seats – the law. Follow this link for information on using a child car seat or booster seat when carrying children. www.gov.uk/child-car-seats-the-rules


Stopping Distances

Drive at a speed that will allow you to stop well within the distance you can see to be clear. Allow at least a two-second gap between you and the vehicle in front on roads carrying faster-moving traffic.

The gap should be at least doubled on wet roads and increased still further on icy roads. Remember, large vehicles and motorcycles need a greater distance to stop.

Download ‘Typical stopping distances’ (PDF, 124KB)


Horse Riding

Car drivers and horse riders both have a right to use the road.



2. Safety at school entrances

Schools are often very busy at the beginning and end of the school day.

Here are some of the things we can do to keep the area safe:

  • "School Keep Clear" markings (yellow zig zags) on the school side of the road
  • School warning triangle on approach roads
  • Provide School Crossing Patrollers
  • Patrol signs at schools with a School Crossing Patroller
  • Place warning flashing lights on the advance ‘School’ warning triangle where there is restricted visibility.
  • Help schools with their Travel Plans
  • Traffic calming
  • Guard rails to stop children running straight out of the school gates

How you can help

  • Leave your car at home and walk to school with your children
  • If you drive, ensure your children get in and out on the kerb side
  • Consider parking a little further away from the school entrance and walk the last bit with your children
  • Use a car park if there is one
  • Don't double park or park on the school entrance markings
  • Don't reverse into the school entrance
  • Share the school run with other parents

You can request the above online

3. Drink and drug driving

Drink driving

There are strict alcohol limits for drivers, but it's impossible to say exactly how many drinks this equals as it's different for each person. If you are driving, it's best not to drink at all.

Find out more about road safety laws and the drink driving penalties (via gov.uk). 

National campaign

Transport for Buckinghamshire (TfB) supports the Morning after Campaign, which looks at the risks of drink driving the morning after. It takes a lot longer than most people think for alcohol to pass through the body, on average about one hour per unit of alcohol.

Download the Morning After Calculator app (via morning-after.org) to calculate when it will be safe for you to drive the morning after drinking alcohol.

Alcohol free recipes

TfB have developed some delicious Mocktails recipes, which can be found on the Travel Safe Bucks blog, or as recipe cards (pdf).


Drug driving

The police can stop you and make you do a 'field impairment assessment' if they think you're on drugs.

They can also use a roadside drug kit to screen for cannabis and cocaine.

If they think you're unfit to drive because of taking drugs, you'll be arrested and could be charged with a crime if the test shows you've taken drugs.

Prescription medication

You don't have to be on illegal drugs, prescription or over the counter medicines can also impair your ability to drive. If you're taking medicines, talk to your doctor, pharmacist or healthcare professional before driving.

Changes to the drug driving law

On 2 March 2015 the drug driving law changed. It is now an offence to drive with certain drugs above a specified level in your blood.

The new offence will work alongside the existing offence of driving whilst impaired through drink or drugs. View the drug driving law (via gov.uk).

4. Safe Drive Stay Alive theatre production

This is a theatre project, aimed at 16 to 18 year olds from the Thames Valley area, the crash and hospitals are on roads familiar to the students.

Until the end, the audience is unsure which of the car's occupants will make it.

It is produced by a road safety partnership, including Thames Valley Police, local councils, and Thames Valley emergency services. 


To book your place visit www.safedrive.org.uk