Changing a speed limit

1. How to tackle speeding

The Highway Code states that you should drive at a speed that will allow you to stop well within the distance you can see to be clear.  Transport research shows that 95% of all collisions involve human error. Find out more about dealing with speeding traffic in Buckinghamshire


Speed survey

Parish councils and Community Groups can request a speed survey via our contact us form.

The cost is £412 +VAT for a 7 day survey.


Community Boards 

Community Boards are public meetings where residents are able to attend, and raise their concerns about issues that affect them in their area. If Community Boards agree that concerns raised are a priority, there is a modest budget that may be available to support resolutions. 

Further information about Community Boards, can be found on the Shadow Authority community boards web page


Enforcement solutions

TVP is responsible for all enforcement of traffic laws. They run a 'Community Concern' scheme where requests from the public about speeding are considered for enforcement.

To request this, contact Speed Solutions. 

Email: SpeedSolutions@thamesvalley.pnn.police.uk

Speed Solutions 
Thames Valley Police Roads Policing
Three Mile Cross
270 Whitley Wood Road
Reading, Berkshire

Following a site survey TVP along with TfB may consider the site for a mobile camera.


Engineering solutions

Traffic calming or road safety engineering schemes may be funded through local community funds or through the local area priorities budget. Residents who feel that a case should be put forward should contact their parish council for their support.

Some collisions cannot be prevented through simple engineering measures for numerous reasons, such as those resulting from driving under the influence of alcohol or where the severity of the collision is far worse because an occupant of a vehicle has failed to wear a seat belt. In these cases the solution may be through better education, therefore the Road Safety Team run many campaigns, courses and initiatives to better educate road users. Some of the complaints we receive concern anti-social problems, resulting in high speed driving mainly at night, these should be reported to the police as anti-social behaviour.


Community speedwatch

This is a scheme managed by TVP, promoted by Buckinghamshire Council and delivered by volunteers.

The registration number of speeding vehicles is recorded.

Warning letters are then sent out by the Police to the registered keepers stating that their vehicle has been reported as speeding. Locations for monitoring speed are selected from sites suggested by the community, based on where there is most local concern about speeding traffic, or the impact of speed.

Community Speedwatch can only operate in areas subject to a speed limit no greater than 40mph.

Letters will be sent to offenders by the Thames Valley Police. The first letter is a warning letter. The second is a stronger letter. If Speedwatch activity evidences a speed problem, this may result in enforcement by the Police.

Information about starting a scheme contact your local Neighbourhood Police Officer via the TVP non-emergency number 101.


2. Speed awareness e-learning module

We've created a speed awareness module called 'Speed Choice'.

This module is designed to help you recognise:

  • the speed limit for your vehicle
  • the type of road you are on
  • stopping distances

There is also handy tips to help you stay safe and drive within the speed limit.



3. Running a local speed reduction campaign

Travel Safe Bucks launched the 'Healthy Driver' campaign in November 2017. 

It has online and offline parts and looks at speeding, smoking, too much sugar, and binge drinking.

473 people have been killed or seriously injured in Buckinghamshire, between December 2006 and December 2016.


Healthy Driver campaign video


Printable campaign materials

Travel Safe Bucks has created posters to help you run a Healthy Driver campaign in your area or organisation. 

Speeding is so bad for you
The Hard Truth
Healthy Driver week long social media campaign content (Word Doc)
Healthy Driver bunting
Create your own air freshener
Healthy Driver poster (A4)
Are your eyes roadworthy?
Using mobility scooters safely on the road

For more information  use our contact us form.

4. Vehicle Activated Signs (VAS)

Vehicle Activated Signs (VAS) are road signs that can display the speed limit or warn of a hazard ahead.

You can read more about VAS on our Traffic Advisory Leaflet.


Permanent Vehicle Activated Sign (VAS)  

Parish or town councils can request a VAS by completing an application form. You can find details of your parish or town council online. If no parish or town council exists, a local county councillor can request this. 

For a permanent VAS to be considered at a site, Transport for Bucks (TfB) will check:

  • collision history
  • speed of traffic
  • condition of existing signing and lining
  • whether other measures may be more suitable

Where a VAS is agreed and will be provided in front of or adjacent to residential properties, TfB or the local council will notify and confirm support from affected residents and the local county councillor. There will also be an additional cost to obtain speed data.

There are a number of suppliers and contractors who can supply and / or install the VAS on the highway in Buckinghamshire. These can be provided on request. 

For prices, see our fees and charges.


Mobile Vehicle Activated Sign (MVAS)

MVAS can be purchased by the Parish/Town Council, using the application form. 

A mobile VAS can be fitted to:

  • a verge or back of a footway (drivers must be able to see them in good time to adjust their speed)
  • existing posts (as long as they leave room on that post to ensure a minimum mounting height)
  • Buckinghamshire Council columns (on a site by site basis)

There should be a minimum of 0.5m between the edge of the road and the sign.

You will also require permission to undertake the work, you can request a road space booking online. This costs £155 plus VAT.

Each MVAS location must have a risk assessment carried out, a sample assessment can be found on the HSE website 

Highway Authority reserves the right to remove the MVAS, if it presents a risk to the public

Prior to any excavation or ground screw work on the public highway, you must get underground services (stats) information.  TfB will undertake this search in their role  prior to approval being given.  Once the locations have been agreed, the stats can be requested, which can take between 4 to 6 weeks.

You may choose your own supplier

Swarco Traffic Ltd 
Email: office.stl@swarco.com

Ground screws and hinged posts supplier

Sign Sense
Email: signsense@hotmail.com

For prices, 
see our fees and charges. 


VAS policy

Vehicle Activate Signs must comply with The Traffic Signs Regulations and General Directions 2018 (TSRGD). This states that only signs and messages can be displayed, other messages are not permitted unless authorised by the Secretary of State.

Our VAS Policy was agreed in March 2006, and reviewed in August 2020. The VAS will be provided in any one of three ways:

  1. County council funded casualty reduction scheme
  2. Scheme where the community fund the VAS. This will be suitable where there is a proven problem with speed and other measures have been ruled out or have not proved successful.
  3. As for 2 above, but where a third party (usually the Parish or Town Council) arrange and fund the supply, install and maintain the sign, subject to County Council approval.

In case 2 above, TfB would be responsible for installing the VAS and would receive a sum for the ongoing maintenance of the sign.  TfB would be responsible for all future maintenance of the sign.  

In case 3 above, where the third party arrange and fund the VAS, we would act as Principal Designer and supervise the works.  TfB’s would include ensuring the risk of underground services is managed.  The parish/town council would employ both TfB and the VAS  contractor directly.  The cost for TfB’s involvement would be on a site by site basis.


5. Road traffic collisions

In 2018 there were a total of 1,178 road collisions throughout Buckinghamshire.

The collisions resulted in:

  • 12 deaths
  • 145 people seriously injured
  • 1,021 slightly injured

Members of the public can get basic injury collision data free of charge from public websites, such as CrashMap or Collision Map.

If more detailed information is required then a charge will apply. 


How we collect the data

We receive collision data forms for all road traffic collisions which have resulted in personal injury and have been reported to the police (at the scene, online, or at a police station). 

The injuries resulting from road traffic collisions are categorised by severity:

  • killed or fatal (injuries leading to death less than 30 days after the collision)
  • serious injury (includes broken bones, internal injuries, burns, severe cuts)
  • slight injury (an injury of a minor character not classed as serious above)


Improving safety

The average value of prevention per injury collision is £90,424.

Reported Road Casualties Great Britain: 2017 Annual Report PDF, 376 pages, 4.86MB

Transport for Buckinghamshire identifies sites for casualty reduction schemes by reviewing reported injury collisions which have occurred within the last 5 years.

A search is carried out to identify:

  • roads and routes that have the highest rate per km of collisions resulting in users being Killed or seriously injured (KSI rates)
  • sites that have a history of 5 or more collisions (of any severity) within a 50m radius in the last 5 years (cluster sites)

The annual review usually identifies over 150 sites across Buckinghamshire. Transport for Buckinghamshire on average carry out remedial work at 10 sites per year.


Reporting a collision

If you've been involved in a road traffic collision, or think you might have witnessed an offence on the roads, you can report a road traffic accident (via thamesvalley.police.uk).


6. Changing a speed limit

A countywide review of speed limits for all public roads in Buckinghamshire was completed in 2012. The roads were assessed and new speed limits were installed. As a result, we are not currently funding any further speed limit changes across the county.

The current policy on requests for changes to speed limits is set out in Key Decision Report PT01.13.


Requesting a change to current speed limits

To request a change to a speed limit, contact your parish or town council.

If they support your request they can ask for a speed limit assessment from Transport for Buckinghamshire. This costs £865 and involves a site visit and liaison with Thames Valley Police. 

Any subsequent changes to a speed limit will need to be funded by either:

The only exceptions to this will be speed limits introduced as part of a casualty reduction scheme.

Requests for speed limit changes will need to comply with the national guidance on setting local speed limits.



Changing a speed limit requires a legal process to be followed.

The full cost of changing a speed limit is in excess of £10,000, this includes:

  • speed limit assessment
  • formal consultation and analysis of feedback
  • legal fees
  • advertisement in local newspaper(s) of the proposed and final Traffic Order
  • sign installation
  • preparatory work and correspondence associated with all of the above