Skip to main content

How to tackle speeding

The problem of speeding traffic remains one of the main concerns for communities in Buckinghamshire. Transport for Buckinghamshire and Thames Valley Police receive a high number of complaints about speeding vehicles at many locations across the County.

It is the driver's responsibility to drive in accordance to the conditions of the road and within the posted speed limit. The Highway Code states that you should drive at a speed that will allow you to stop well within the distance you can see to be clear. The driver or rider is responsible for their actions and the way in which they drive or ride. According to the Transport Research Laboratory 95% of all collisions involve an element of human error.

Data Gathering

It is important to establish exactly what the problem is, as very often concerns are based on perception rather than fact. There are various ways in which speeds can be measured:-

Speed survey

Parish councils and Community Groups can request a speed survey from the Traffic Information Team at Transport for Buckinghamshire. The cost is £380+VAT for a 7 day survey. Requests can be made on 01296 382416.

Police Neighbourhood Action Group (NAG)

A speed check can also be requested via a Police Neighbourhood Action Group (NAG) if there is one in your area.

For further details on NAGS, please visit Thames Valley Police

Neighbourhood Police deal with reported speeding in various ways, depending on the nature of the problem (i.e. the number of speeding motorists and the number/type of collisions on the road length). No further action is likely to be taken by the police if the data gathering exercise or speed survey shows no speeding.

Enforcement Solutions

Thames Valley Police (TVP) is responsible for all matters concerning enforcement of traffic laws. TVP runs a ‘Community Concern’ scheme where requests from the public about speeding are considered for enforcement, either by Police presence/speed checks or mobile camera enforcement through a "dealing with speeding traffic" scheme.

A request for this enforcement can be made by contacting the Thames Valley Police either by email at

Or by post to:

Speed Solutions,
Thames Valley Police Roads Policing
Three Mile Cross,
270 Whitley Wood Road,
Reading, Berkshire

Following a site survey Thames Valley Police along with Transport for Buckinghamshire may consider the site for mobile camera enforcement.

Engineering Solutions

Transport for Buckinghamshire (TfB) is supporting Parishes with speed control through their villages by enabling them to apply for a range of permanent or temporary electronic vehicle activated sign (VAS) options.

For more information and how to apply for a vehicle activated sign.

Alternatively, Thames Valley Police may have their own version of these signs which organisations and community groups can borrow or hire. Please contact your local Police Community Support Officer (PCSO) or local neighbourhood police office for further information. This can be done through the police non-emergency number 101.

Traffic calming or road safety engineering schemes may be funded through local community funds or through the Local Area Priorities Budget. Residents who feel that a case should be put forward should contact their Parish Council for their support.

Some collisions cannot be prevented through simple engineering measures for numerous reasons, such as those resulting from driving under the influence of alcohol or where the severity of the collision is far worse because an occupant of a vehicle has failed to wear a seat belt. In these cases the solution may be through better education, therefore the Road Safety Team run many campaigns, courses and initiatives to better educate road users. These include the dangers of drink driving, not wearing seat belts and inappropriate or excessive speed. Some of the complaints we receive concern anti-social problems, resulting in high speed driving mainly at night. As this is “anti-social behaviour” it is a Police matter and wherever should be reported to them.

Community Speedwatch

Community Speedwatch is a traffic monitoring scheme that is promoted by the Police and Buckinghamshire County Council but managed and run by volunteers in a community.

The volunteers are trained to use a detection device to monitor the speeds of vehicles travelling through their local area.

The registration number of speeding vehicles is recorded.

Warning letters are then sent out by the Police to the registered keepers stating that their vehicle has been reported as speeding. Locations for monitoring speed are selected from sites suggested by the community, based on where there is most local concern about speeding traffic, or the impact of speed.

Community Speedwatch can only operate in areas subject to a speed limit no greater than 40mph.

Letters will be sent to offenders by the Thames Valley Police. The first letter is a warning letter. The second is a stronger letter. If Speedwatch activity evidences a speed problem, this may result in enforcement by the Police.

For more information about starting a scheme please contact your local Neighbourhood Police Officer via the Thames Valley Police non-emergency number: 101, or click here.

Was this page helpful?

1 star
Very poor
3 stars
Neither good nor poor
5 stars
Very good
Live Chat Software by Click4Assistance UK