Haydon Hill Cycleway
We are extending the Waddesdon Greenway by building a walking and cycling route which will connect the Roman Park in Berryfields with Gogh Road in Haydon Hill. The new route will include building 3 bridges over the River Thame.
The aim of the project is to:
- support the increased cycling and walking demand
- improve sustainable access to Aylesbury Vale Parkway Station (future EWR terminus)
From week commencing 19 April 2021, for a period of 4 months, we'll start works to build a new path for pedestrian and cyclists. The project is due to be completed by late summer 2021, subject to weather condition.
The Waddesdon Greenway, a 2.5 mile cycleway between Waddesdon and Aylesbury Vale Parkway, opened September 2018. It has proved very popular with over 70,000 trips recorded on the route within the last year.
The route is used for a mix of leisure and commuting trips, particularly in the summer.
Due to a lack of a continuous route into Aylesbury, the usefulness of the route beyond being a leisure route is currently limited.
When complete, the link will provide a low-traffic connection between Aylesbury town centre, Aylesbury Vale Parkway station (a future terminus of East West Rail), Berryfields and Waddesdon.
We hope the scheme will encourage health, congestion and air quality benefits through a shift towards active travel.
The plan below shows the detail of the proposed route.
In December 2019, a planning application was submitted. A decision to approve the planning application was made on 16 July 2020.
So far on the project:
- the ground investigation and ecological works have been completed
- the design and build of 3 new bridges have begun off site
- a feasibility study has been completed and planning permission has been granted
- design development and site investigations have been completed
- contractors have been appointed and award of contract completed
- the Environment Agency licence has been completed
- we completed the award of contract for the cycleway construction in August 2020
- we completed vegetation clearance in October 2020
Our next steps on the project include:
- starting construction week commencing 19 April 2021 for a period of 4 months, subject to weather conditions
- anticipating completion of construction is late Summer 2021
We will be providing regular project updates through e-bulletins.
Preparation works start for Aylesbury's new Haydon Hill cycleway 14 October 2020
Green light for new 'greenway' 29 July 2020