Haydon Hill Cycleway
We are extending the Waddesdon Greenway by building a walking and cycling route which will connect the Roman Park Community Centre in Berryfields with Gogh Road in Haydon Hill. The new route will include building 2 bridges over the River Thame.
The aim of the project is to:
- support the increased cycling and walking demand
- improve sustainable access to Aylesbury Vale Parkway Station (future EWR terminus)
The project is due to be completed by summer 2021.
The Waddesdon Greenway, a 2.5 mile cycleway between Waddesdon and Aylesbury Vale Parkway, opened September 2018. It has proved very popular with over 70,000 trips recorded on the route within the last year.
The route is used for a mix of leisure and commuting trips, particularly in the summer.
Due to a lack of a continuous route into Aylesbury, the usefulness of the route beyond being a leisure route is currently limited.
When complete, the link will provide a low-traffic connection between Aylesbury town centre, Aylesbury Vale Parkway station (a future terminus of East West Rail), Berryfields and Waddesdon.
We hope the scheme will encourage health, congestion and air quality benefits through a shift towards active travel.
The plan below shows the detail of the proposed route.
In December 2019, a planning application was submitted. A decision to approve the planning application was made on 16 July 2020.
So far on the project:
- the ground investigation and ecological works have been completed
- the design and build of two new bridges have begun off site
- a feasibility study has been completed and planning permission has been granted
- design development and site investigations have been completed
- contractors have been appointed
- Environment Agency licence application has been submitted
Our next steps on the project include:
- award of contract for the cycleway construction in August 2020.
- clearing vegetation during winter 2020 to avoid the nesting season
- construction, which is planned to start in April 2021 (subject to weather condition)
- anticipated completion of construction is Summer 2021
We will be providing regular project updates through e-bulletins.
Green light for new 'greenway' Press release 29th July 2020