A355 improvement project
To reduce congestion on the A355, we are building a new relief road to the east of Beaconsfield. The road is due to be completed by September 2019.
Keep up to date with the latest changes by subscribing to our bulletin, or view past editions.
We are currently working on phase 4, which includes Maxwell Road, Hyde Green, and Waller Road. See our General Arrangement Plan.
We are preparing for the switch to Phase 5. Asphalt has been laid to the whole length of new link road. Contractors are currently working on the 3m cycleway and footpath.
Future works include:
- noise barrier installation (along eastern verge with the Golf Club)
- toucan crossing installation
- decommission current junction with Maxwell Road and re-alignment of Maxwell Road
- install surface course to the remaining works around Maxwell Road.
- landscaping works
- install lanterns to the new lighting columns
About the project
The A355 Beaconsfield Eastern Relief Road is one of six major highways projects which Buckinghamshire’s Strategic Economic Plan (SEP) with the purpose to improve the council's strategic transport network.
The new relief road will be built with a new junction at Maxwell Road at the northern end, and connect with the A40 at Pyebush roundabout the southern end. It is to be delivered in two parts:
- northern section by the County Council from Maxwell road to Minerva Way
- southern section by Inland Homes from Minerva Way to Pyebush Roundabout
Planning consent for the scheme was granted in September 2017. Main construction works for the A355 Beaconsfield Eastern Relief Road began in August 2018.
The southern section of the relief road will be delivered by Inland Homes as part of their Wilton Park housing development.
In March 2014, we joined up with the Buckinghamshire Thames Valley Local Economic Partnership (BTVLEP) to submit our Strategic Economic Plan (SEP) to the Department for Transport.
The plan outlined many transport and economic development focus areas for Buckinghamshire.
Alongside the BTVLEP, we secured £44 million of funding through the Local Growth Fund (LGF). This is being used for large scale infrastructure schemes and highway improvements.
One of these schemes was the A355 Beaconsfield Eastern Relief Road which was awarded £6.05m in 2016.
The objectives of this project are to:
- reduce congestion on the A355 and the London End roundabout by 50%
- improve north south connectivity in the county
- provide a more suitable route for HS2 construction traffic
Photographs and plans
View our past bulletins for photographs and plans of the new relief road.
If you have any questions, please contact us below.
Work starts on high priority Beaconsfield relief road
Go-ahead for Beaconsfield Relief Road plans
Multi-million pound road improvements scheme launched
Beaconsfield relief road roundabout begins to take shape
Temporary lights for water main works on A355