Roadworks permit scheme
|First published:||09 January 2017|
|Last updated:||16 January 2017 See all updates|
The Permit Scheme applies to strategically significant streets, which includes all traffic sensitive streets, strategic routes and non traffic sensitive streets defined as reinstatement category 0, 1 or 2 as identified on the National Street Gazetteer (NSG).
Permit schemes provide an alternative to the notification system (in accordance with the New Roads and Street Works Act 1991), whereby, rather than informing the Highway Authority about its intention to carry out works, an activity promoter will have to apply for a permit to occupy the highway The Permit Scheme applies to all works promoters, including the Highway Authority.
Why have a permit scheme?
The Permit Scheme objective will be facilitated by improving performance in line with the Authorities’ Network Management Duty in relation to the following key factors:
- Enhanced coordination and cooperation
- Encouragement of partnership working between the Permit Authority, all Activity Promoters and key stakeholder groups identified within this document
- Provision of more accurate and timely information to be communicated between all stakeholders including members of the public
- Promotion and encouragement of collaborative working
- Improvement in timing and duration of activities, particularly in relation to the busiest streets within the network
- Promotion of dialogue with regard to the way activities are to be carried out
- Enhanced programming of activities and better forward planning by all activity promoters
The Permit Scheme objectives align with the strategic objectives contained within the authorities’ local area action plan
The five priorities for Buckinghamshire in this long term strategic plan are:
- Enhancing accessibility
- Tackling congestion
- Improving the environment
- Improving road safety
- Maintaining and managing the transport asset
For all permit enquiries
Please call the team on: 01296 383848
- Added 'Statutory instrument'.
- Added 'Traffic sensitive street list.pdf'.
- Added 'Application and response times'.
- Added 'Standard refusal reasons'.
- Added 'Specific conditions'.
- Added 'Annex 1 - Permit and PAA fees'.
- Added 'Permit scheme'.
- First published.