Skip to main content

Local Land Charges and Highway Extents

VAT Implementation

As per HMRC instructions VAT will be applied to all CON 29 searches and Highway Extents searches from 1 March 2017. New charging schedule effective from 1 April 2018 is available.

Highway & Con29 search enquiries

When buying or leasing a property, part of the procedure is to conduct Local Land Charge searches and these are normally completed by a legal representative of the purchaser. 

The legal representatives may submit forms LLC1 (Search of the Local Land Charges Register) and CON29 (Enquiries of Local Authority) to the relevant District Council together with the appropriate fee. These forms set out a list of standard enquiries agreed with the Law Society.

For Buckinghamshire, the questions on the CON29 are split between the County Council (County Planning and Highway matters) and the District Councils to answer. On occasion, a CON29 maybe sent to the County Council direct to only answer those questions applicable to the County. You can apply for a CON29 direct to the County Council online.


For information relating to a particular property or a piece of land, we operate an efficient and enhanced search service with a team of officers trained to interpret highways records. We are in close contact with those responsible for instigating proposals to the highway network within Buckinghamshire to ensure you receive the most up to date information available.

Our procedure for dealing with these search enquiries is set out in our Access to Property Records Policy "Guide to Accessing Property Records".

Please note that we do not give information relating to the adopted highway over the telephone.

On request we supply Tailored Reports for Con29R and Con29O information. This enquiry is part of the procedure when buying or leasing a property and is normally carried out by a solicitor acting on behalf of a buyer.

We charge for providing this information under an enhanced service and a schedule of fees can be downloaded below. From 1 March 2017 Buckinghamshire County Council will be charging VAT on CON29R and O, Highway Extents and solicitors own questions as instructed by the HMRC.

For more information email


Help us to improve Buckinghamshire County Council

Don't include personal or financial information like your National Insurance number or credit card details.