Road signs policy

1. Housing development signs

Developers may be allowed to put up signs for a development. 


  • Must have a minimum of 30 bedrooms
  • The developers or their contractors’ public liability insurance indemnifies us against:
    • all claims for injury accident
    • damage which may arise due to the presence of the signs on or next to the highway
  • They conform to the current traffic signs regulations.
  • Is put a minimum of 2.1m above the ground and is at least 0.45m from the edge of the road
  • No costs of the signs shall be borne by us
  • The signs shall be removed within three months of the sale of 80% of the houses
  • Any damage  arising from the temporary signs will be repaired and the costs recharged 


2. Neighbourhood Watch signs

The Neighbourhood Watch scheme was set up by Thames Valley Police (TVP), the forms are on their Website .

We approve the signs, if the following are met:

  • The sign used must be approved by TVP
  • The number of signs should be kept to a minimum
  • The signs should be between 2.1 and 3.6 m above ground level. 
  • Upkeep of the signs is the responsibility of the Neighbourhood Watch group
  • All signs must have third party liability insurance (contact TVP for information)

Signs may be put up:

  • On electricity/telegraphs poles, with written permission of the owner
  • On posts supporting village nameplates (height conditions do not apply)
  • On private land where the signs can be put on posts, walls and fencing with the owner’s permission

Signs must not be erected:

  • On any traffic sign
  • On traffic signal pole/post.

We will remove signs and charge for person responsible for the costs of removal, if the process is not followed. 

Next step

Send to the Planning Department at the District council.

  • A copy of the letter from us
  • A copy of the application form

If we or TVP refuse or the scheme stops, the signs must be taken down within 14 days.



3. Temporary signs

Temporary signs provide information and directions, to local events but it is important to ensure they do not compromise safety.

We cannot give formal permission for signs to advertise an event. But anyone who wishes to put up a sign must contact us to explain the conditions under which a sign may be allowed.

The conditions relate to:

  • The size of a sign
  • Siting – to ensure safety
  • Insurance in case of accident
  • Design and appearance
  • Length of time the sign is in place
  • Arrangements for removal after the event

Signs may be requested for local events such as church or school fetes. Major events requiring AA or RAC signs will be subject to special permission, which will be familiar to these organisations.

Shop and estate agent signs are not allowed to be placed on the highway.


4. Motorway signs

For signs on motorways and trunk roads, contact the Highways Agency on 0300 123 5000


5. Tourist signs

Tourist signs are white on brown signs giving directions to a tourist establishment which offers:

  • Recreational, cultural, educational or historical interest
  • Facilities for the benefit of tourists/visitors

Only established destination/attraction or facility is signed in this way if it:

  • Attracts or is used by visitors to an area and is open to the public without prior booking, during normal opening hours
  • Is recognised by the Southern Tourist Board and meets the eligibility, site and financial criteria we set out.

 Apply for Tourist Sign

6. Apply to put up a road sign

Everyone must complete a form and submit it with a non-refundable cheque (made payable to Buckinghamshire County Council) for £200 to cover admin.

If it is refused an explanation for the refusal will be given. If successful you will be advised of the full cost of the tourist signs, which will be at your expense and must be met in advance of the signs being installed. All works will be undertaken by us and the full cost quoted will include a charge for all future sign maintenance and/or replacement.

Priority will be given to approved schemes in the Business Plan. 

Unauthorised signs

Will be removed, and the cost charged to the developer.