Road signs policy

1. Housing development signs

Developers may be permitted to put up signs advertising the location of a development if they meet certain conditions. They must apply to us to do so. Signs may be permitted if:

  • The development includes a minimum of 30 bedrooms
  • The developers or their contractors’ public liability insurance indemnifies us against all claims for injury accident or damage which may arise due to the presence of the signs on or adjacent to the highway
  • The signs conform to the current traffic signs regulations.
  • Each sign is mounted a minimum of 2.1m above the carriageway/footway/verge and the sign is at least 0.45m from the edge of the carriageway
  • Details of the location, number, wording and method of fixing of the signs along with proof of the developer’s public liability insurance must be provided to us for prior approval
  • No costs associated with removal or maintenance of the signs shall be borne by us
  • The signs shall be removed within three months of the sale of 80% of the properties
  • Any damage to existing street furniture arising from the erection of the temporary signs will be repaired and the costs recharged to the developer


2. Neighbourhood Watch signs

The Neighbourhood Watch scheme was set up jointly with Thames Valley Police (TVP) to promote crime awareness and reduction within a community. Advice on such a scheme will be supplied by TVP.
Application forms are supplied by TVP and returned to them by the applicant. They are then sent on to us for approval.
We will approve the erection of the signs (usually on lamp columns) in writing providing the following conditions are met:

  • The sign used must be of the type approved by TVP
  • The number of signs should be kept to a minimum
  • The signs should be erected between 2.1 and 3.6 m above ground level. In special circumstances exceptions can be made
  • Future maintenance of the signs is the responsibility of the Neighbourhood Watch group
  • All signs must be covered by third party liability insurance (contact TVP for information)

Signs may be erected:

  • On electricity/telegraphs poles, with written permission of the owner
  • On posts supporting village nameplates (height conditions do not apply)
  • On private land where the signs can be mounted on posts, walls and fencing with the land owner’s permission

Signs must not be erected on any traffic sign or traffic signal pole/post. Any sign erected on the public highway without our permission can be removed and the cost incurred recharged to the person responsible.

Following approval, please send a copy of the letter of approval with a copy of the application form to the Planning Department of the local district council. If we or TVP withdraw approval or the scheme ceases to operate, the signs must be removed within 14 days.


3. Temporary signs

Temporary signs often provide important information about, and directions, to local events but it is important to make sure that they do not compromise safety. Transport for Buckinghamshire cannot give formal permission for signs advertising an event but anyone who wishes to put up a sign must contact them for advice and to explain the conditions under which a sign may be allowed.

The conditions relate to:

  • The size of a sign
  • Siting – to ensure safety
  • Insurance in case of accident
  • Design and appearance
  • Length of time the sign is in place
  • Arrangements for removal after the event

Situations where signs may be requested include local events such as church or school fetes. Major events requiring AA or RAC signs will be subject to special permissions which will be familiar to these organisations.

Shop and estate agent signs are not allowed to be placed on the highway.


4. Motorway signs

For signs on motorways and trunk roads, contact the Highways Agency on 0300 123 5000

On county roads, destinations or facilities will be signed only from the nearest ‘A’ or ‘B’ class road or other road carrying more than 5,000 vehicles per day

Traffic will be expected to use existing village/town signing before signing to the specific destination or facility commences

5. Tourist signs

Tourist signs are white on brown signs giving directions to a tourist establishment which offers:

  • Recreational, cultural, educational or historical interest
  • Facilities for the benefit of tourists/visitors

Only permanently established destination/attraction or facility is signed in this way if it:

  • Attracts or is used by visitors to an area and is open to the public without prior booking, during normal opening hours
  • Is recognised by the Southern Tourist Board and/or us and meets general and specific eligibility, site and financial criteria we set out.

 Apply for Tourist Sign

6. Apply to put up a road sign

Eligible operators/owners or companies must complete an application form and submit it with a non-refundable cheque (made payable to Buckinghamshire County Council) for £200 to cover the administration charge for assessing the application.

Our Traffic Management team will assess your application, in accordance with the criteria/terms specified on the form. If the application is not eligible, it will be refused and an explanation for the refusal will be given. If successful you will be advised of the full cost of providing the tourist signs, which will be at your expense and must be met in advance of the signs being installed. All works will be undertaken by us and the full cost quoted will include a charge for all future sign maintenance and/or replacement.

Priority will be given to approved schemes in the Business Plan. Tourist signing will be progressed as resources allow, but progress will depend on the number of applications and scale of requests involved

Unauthorised signs

Where signs to housing developments are erected without permission, they will be removed, and the cost charged to the developer.