Fed up with potholes – we are too!
Government funding cuts and pressures from other services such as social care means there isn’t enough money to pay for all the work which needs doing on our roads.
However, a new single council for Buckinghamshire would save at least £18m per year – money which the new council could decide to put into more road resurfacing.
Have your say - it only takes a minute !
Bridges and Highways structures
We, as the highway authority, are directly responsible for the highway structures we own on roads. We also seek to ensure good stewardship by the owners of other bridges and structures which span, go under or carry council roads.
Ownership of bridges within the county are as follows:
Highway England (motorways and trunk roads)
Tel: 0300 123 5000
Tel: 08457 114141
BRB Residuary Ltd (redundant railway structures)
Tel: 01904 524 786
Canal & River Trust
Tel: 0113 284 5200
Tel: 0845 330 9880
Boundary Bridge (adjacent authorities) -
Transport for Buckinghamshire -
Highways bridges, culverts, footbridges, subways & Rights of Way structures
Tel: 01296 382416
Maintain the safety of the travelling public using bridges and protect the structural integrity of all highway structures.
This is achieved by:
- Inspecting all owned bridges on a two yearly cycle
- Undertaking additional inspections in response to reports of defects, accident damage etc
- Repairing dangerous defects quickly
- Prioritising remedial works by taking into account the nature of the defect and importance of the route, within available resources
- Seeking funds from central government and recovering repair costs for damage caused in road traffic accidents
- Seeking to ensure other bridge owners maintain their bridges and meet their obligations towards the travelling public
Graffiti and murals
- We respond to reports of graffiti and vandalism to bridges and subways. Only graffiti which is racist or abusive will be removed promptly. Subways are routinely visited and cleaned on a three monthly basis
- We will consider requests for the provision of murals.
Subway lighting and drainage
- Our lighting section deals with issues relating to lighting in subways.
- Our area offices deal with drainage issues, including electrical equipment / pumps for subways.
- Weight restrictions on weak bridges are only introduced when strictly necessary
- Environmental weight restrictions exist primarily to control the movement of heavy vehicles
Inspections and improvement works
- The management of highway structures, including inspecting and programming maintenance work is carried out by the Highways Structures office.
For more information please call: 01296 382416 or use our contact us form.