Bridges and highways structures
We are responsible for the highway structures we own on roads. We also seek to ensure good stewardship by the owners of other bridges and structures which go under or carry council roads.
Ownership of bridges within the county are as follows:
Telephone: 03457 11 41 41
BRB Residuary Ltd (redundant railway structures)
Telephone: 01904 524 786
Telephone: 0343 222 1234
Transport for Buckinghamshire
Highways bridges, culverts, footbridges, subways and rights of way structures
Telephone: 01296 382416
Maintain the safety of the public using bridges and protect the structural integrity of all highway structures.
- Inspecting all owned bridges every two years
- Additional inspections in response to reports of defects, accident damage etc
- Prioritising remedial works by taking into account the nature of the defect and importance of the route, within available resources
- Seek funds from central government and recovering repair costs for damage caused in road traffic accidents
- Seeking to ensure other bridge owners maintain their bridges and meet their obligations towards the travelling public
Graffiti and murals
- Only graffiti which is racist or abusive will be removed promptly. Subways are routinely visited and cleaned on a three monthly basis
- We will consider requests for the provision of murals.
Subway lighting and drainage
- Our lighting section deals lighting in subways.
- Our area offices deal with drainage issues, including electrical equipment/pumps for subways.
- Weight restrictions on weak bridges are only introduced when strictly necessary
- Environmental weight restrictions exist primarily to control the movement of heavy vehicles
Inspections and improvement works
- The management of highway structures, including inspecting and programming maintenance work is carried out by the Highways Structures office.