Skip to main content

Abnormal loads

Abnormal loads are defined in The Road Vehicles (Authorisation of Special Types (General) Order 2003 and Subsequent Amendment Orders as any vehicle which exceeds at least one of the following limits:

Over 40/44 tonne gross weightOver 5.03 metres highOver 3.0m metres wideOver 28.0 metres long (If a rigid vehicle - maximum allowable is 18.75m)

Our responsibilities

We, as the highway authority, alongside Thames Valley Police (TVP) are responsible for authorising all abnormal load vehicle movements using council maintained roads - not motorways or trunk roads. Abnormal loads travelling in the Milton Keynes area should contact Milton Keynes Council.

Notification of abnormal loads should be received by email or fax, two to five days in advance of the proposed movement:

Buckinghamshire County Council (email)

We liaise closely with the police, consulting when necessary.

Motorways and trunk roads

Highways England is responsible for managing, on behalf of the Secretary of State for Transport, the motorway and trunk road network throughout England.

The responsibility for day to day management of the motorways and trunk road network within Buckinghamshire belongs to the consultants listed below. Notification to, and authorisation from, these consultants is required when passing through Buckinghamshire on motorways or trunk roads.

Who to contact;

Area Road Who Contact details
Area 8 M1-A5 Carillion URS Tel: 01536 413700 Fax: 01536 511383
Area 5 M25 Mouchel Consulting Tel: 01372 365600 Fax: 01372 365655
Area 3 M4-A404 Mott MacDonald Tel: 01962 869777  (Helpline) Fax: 01962 879635
- M40 UK Highways Tel: 01295 270255 Fax: 01295 270263

Other useful websites (these sites will open in a new window)

Thames Valley Police (We are not responsible for the content of external websites).

Was this page helpful?

1 star
Very poor
3 stars
Neither good nor poor
5 stars
Very good
Live Chat Software by Click4Assistance UK