Disabled parking bays
There are two types of disabled parking bays:
1. Formal bay with signs
- Usually in town/village centres where waiting restrictions (yellow lines) exist.
- A Traffic Regulation Order (TRO) is required to enable police enforcement
- These are only considered when a review of waiting restrictions takes place in the area
- It can take up to 12 months to carry out the work.
2. Advisory bay with road markings only
- Applied in residential areas
- They are not enforceable, residents usually respect them
- They are available for any disabled badge holder
To qualify for a bay
- Applicant needs to be a disabled badge holder who cannot walk more than 20 metres
- A bay will not be given if the applicant does not drive, unless the carer also has mobility problems
- Evidence by a doctor is required for the disabled badge holder (and carer where appropriate).
- The applicant has no off-street parking available or a way of providing it
- A disabled badge must be on show while the vehicle is in the bay
- We will consult with the police.
How to apply
To apply, download the application form.
We will assess your request and let you know by letter. Your GP must support the application (some doctors may charge for this)
If the application is approved, the work will be done free of charge when we're next in the area.