Free parking

To support local communities, key workers and volunteers during the Coronavirus outbreak, all Council car parks and on-street parking will be free to use until further notice. Where possible, we urge residents to make full use of their local car parks during this emergency, so local roads can be kept as clear as possible. Please note some car parks are closed overnight, so may not be suitable for all to use. Restrictions on disabled parking bays will remain in force.

Disabled parking bays

There are two types of disabled parking bays:


1. Formal bay with signs

  • Usually in town/village centres where waiting restrictions (yellow lines) exist.
  • A Traffic Regulation Order (TRO) is required to enable police enforcement
  • These are only considered when a review of waiting restrictions takes place in the area
  • It can take up to 12 months to carry out the work.


2. Advisory bay with road markings only

  • Applied in residential areas
  • They are not enforceable, residents usually respect them
  • They are available for any disabled badge holder 


To qualify for a bay

  • Applicant needs to be a disabled badge holder who cannot walk more than 20 metres 
  • A bay will not be given if the applicant does not drive, unless the carer also has mobility problems
  • Evidence by a doctor is required for the disabled badge holder (and carer where appropriate).
  • The applicant has no off-street parking available or a way of providing it
  • A disabled badge must be on show while the vehicle is in the bay
  • We will consult with the police.


How to apply

To apply, download the application form.

We will assess your request and let you know by letter. Your GP must support the application (some doctors may charge for this)

If the application is approved, the work will be done free of charge when we're next in the area.


Was this page helpful?

Very poor
Neither good nor poor
Very good