Apply for a vehicular access licence

If you want to drop the kerb outside your house, you'll need:

  • a vehicular access licence
  • an external contractor

Vehicle access licences are not a substitute for planning permission. 


Check if planning permission is needed

You may need planning permission from the district council before you can carry out any work. If you are unsure who to speak to, you can find your district council online

A licence cannot be granted without planning approval or permitted development.

Any access serving 3 or more houses will be covered by a Section 184 licence.


Apply for a licence 

A vehicular access licence costs £295.

Before you complete the online form, you need to have a:

  • location plan, to a scale of 1/200
  • drawing of the access, no wider than 4.6m
  • plan of any proposed alterations to the front boundary wall/fence/hedge
  • copy of the planning permission or letter confirms that planning permission is not required

Apply for a vehicular access licence

Applications will take approximately 4 weeks to complete (providing all documents are submitted) and licences are valid for 2 weeks.


External contractors

You must use a contractor who has:

  • Public Liability insurance cover of £5 million
  • New Roads and Street Works Act 1991 accreditation

If your access is going to cross or affect the flow of a watercourse you will require the consent of the authority. 


Was this page helpful?

Very poor
Neither good nor poor
Very good