Apply for a pavement licence (Business and Planning Act 2020)

Pavement licences allow businesses to make use of outside space by permitting removable furniture, such as tables and chairs, to be placed on the public highway in connection with the selling and consumption of food and drink. This is a streamlined process to support businesses that will be available until 30 September 2021.

You can apply for a licence if you:

  • do not operate later than 10pm Sunday to Thursday and 11pm Friday and Saturday
  • have the necessary permission if you intend to sell alcohol
  • ensure that clear access routes on the highway are maintained

You will need to pay a fee of £100 when you submit your application for a pavement licence. This is an interim fee and is subject to confirmation by Licensing Committee. If a decision is made to decrease the fee the differing amount will be refunded.

We will tell you whether your application is successful within 14 days of applying for the licence.

Please review our standard conditions of licence before applying. We are only able to accept applications submitted electronically.

Apply for a pavement licence


Current applications

You can view summaries of current applications online.

For details relating to specific applications, email your request to

Representations concerning any application must be submitted within 7 days of the date of the application.


Decisions on applications

Once your application has been accepted you will be sent a public notice to display at your premises for 7 days. You will be asked to provide photographic evidence that the notice has been displayed.

We will send a copy of your application to the Highways Service, Thames Valley Police, Planning, Environmental Health and any other party we consider is appropriate.

After 7 days we will then use any feedback we receive to consider your application and notify you of our final decision within the following 7 days.

The council may grant or reject your application. We may also grant your application but make changes or add conditions to the permitted purposes or area to be used. We will issue granted licences electronically and these will be subject to the council’s standard conditions.

You do not have a statutory right of appeal against a decision of the council under this act. You can challenge the decision through a legal route in the courts which is called a judicial review. The council also operates a compliments, feedback and complaints policy.


Futher guidance

The government has provided guidance to assist with:

Was this page helpful?

Very poor
Neither good nor poor
Very good