Skip to main content

Apply for a dropped kerb

The construction of a dropped kerb for vehicle access (also known as a crossover) is governed by the Highways Act 1980 and New Roads and Street Works Act 1991. Such construction is controlled approved and licensed by Buckinghamshire County Council (BCC) as the Highway Authority.

Getting a licence



Before you start

Please note that your application will not be processed should you fail to submit the required supporting documents.  Failure to submit supporting information will cause delays and may affect your start date.

Before you complete the online form, you need to ensure you have the following information to support your application. We need all this information to process the application.

  • Location plan, showing key dimensions (width of access), to a scale of 1/200.
  • Plan/drawing of access with dimensions, the access being no wider than 4.6m
  • Plan/elevation of proposed alterations to the front boundary wall/fence/hedge (if applicable).
  • A copy of the planning permission or letter confirms that planning permission is not required

You must use a competent contractor, with Public Liability insurance cover of £5 million who is familiar with procedures and requirements of the New Roads and Street Works Act 1991.  If your proposed vehicle access is going to cross or affect the flow of a watercourse you will require the consent of the relevant authority. Please see this page for further details of how to apply for consent.

In certain circumstances a licence will not be granted ie if the access is at a point where visibility is restricted and it is potentially dangerous. You should apply for a licence before employing contractors to construct an access.

Further inspection will take place during construction and upon completion.

Planning permission

Planning permission is required to construct on A, B and C classification roads. In addition certain district councils impose further planning permission requirements so please check with them also.

Planning permission should be sought from the District Council. Any licence we issue under highways legislation is not a substitute for planning permission.


The contractors must be approved in terms of accreditation under the New Roads and Street Works Act 1991 and have public liability insurance in excess of £5 million. 

Any access serving 3 or more residential dwellings will be covered by a Section 184 licence.

Was this page helpful?

1 star
Very poor
3 stars
Neither good nor poor
5 stars
Very good
Live Chat Software by Click4Assistance UK