Skip to main content
Check for closures to schools and other services

If there is heavy snow in your area, please check School closures and select your school for more information, including bus routes.

To view other closures please see our snow and winter weather page.

Important news - Changes to shared space guidance

Department for Transport have requested, that Local Authorities paused the new shared space schemes. These are the schemes which include a level surface, where the kerb between the road and the pavement is removed. This pause will allow them to carry out research and produce updated guidance. They have also suspended the guidance note Local Transport Note 1/11: Shared Space while this work takes place.

Buckinghamshire County Council has made the decision to implement the pause on shared space schemes, with the following exemptions:

  • Raised junctions, speed tables etc.
  • Toucan, pelican crossings etc.
  • Cul-de-sacs and closes serving 25 properties or less
  • Schemes where the contract to construct has already been awarded

For more information please visit the DfT’s website -

The role of Highways Development Management

5. Frequently asked questions

How do I get pre-application advice on my planning proposal?

Pre-Application advice

What guidance and policies do I need to observe in terms of the highway impact of the development that I am proposing?

Planning Policies and Legislation

Does Buckinghamshire County Council have any residential estate road design guidance?  

Buckinghamshire follow the guidelines set out by the DfT Manual for Street guide

What are the parking standards for new developments in Buckinghamshire?

Bucks County Council produced the Buckinghamshire Countywide Parking Guidance, which became policy in September 2015. However, it is only currently used to determine parking provision for developments within the Wycombe District Council area.

When determining the parking provision for developments within the Aylesbury Vale, Chiltern or South Bucks areas, please see the guidance for each respective Local Planning Authority:


Aylesbury Vale District Council – Planning Policy:

Chiltern District Council – Planning Policy:

South Bucks District Council – Planning Policy:

Wycombe District Council – Planning Policy:


I live on a privately maintained road. How do I go about getting it adopted so that it is maintained by Bucks County Council?

My planning permission says that I have to obtain a Section 184 licence. What is this and how do I apply?

Section 184

My planning permission says that I have to enter into a Section 278 agreement with Bucks County Council. How do I apply and what information should I submit?

Section 278

I am constructing an estate road and wish to offer it as highway maintained at public expense. How do I apply to enter into a Section 38 agreement and what information should I submit?

Section 38 

I need to find out highway extents or whether or not specific land is maintained by the County Council. Who do I contact?

These records are held by Bucks County Council’s Local Land Charges Section. If you are seeking a CON29R or O search or highway extent information.

Con 29 and Highway Extent

Construction traffic associated with a development is tracking mud onto the road. How should I report this?

It is an offence under S151 of the Highways Act 1980 for vehicles leaving the development site to carry mud onto the public highway. Ultimately, enforcement of this lies with the police.

However, if you wish to bring it to the Highway Authority’s attention, please report it to Transport for Buckinghamshire:

Tell TfB

Construction traffic is blocking the road. What should I do?

Wilful obstruction on or of the highway is an offence under S137 of the Highways Act 1980, and is enforceable only by the police.


Print entire guide

Last updated: 18 December 2018

Live Chat Software by Click4Assistance UK

Was this page helpful?

1 star
Very poor
3 stars
Neither good nor poor
5 stars
Very good