The role of Highways Development Management

5. Frequently asked questions

How do I get pre-application advice on my planning proposal?

Pre-Application advice PDF, 970KB


What guidance and policies do I need to observe in terms of the highway impact of the development that I am proposing?

Planning Policies and Legislation


Does Buckinghamshire Council have any residential estate road design guidance?  

Buckinghamshire follow the guidelines set out by the DfT Manual for Street guide


What are the parking standards for new developments in Buckinghamshire?

We produced the Buckinghamshire Countywide Parking Guidance, which became policy in September 2015. However, it is only currently used to determine parking provision for developments within the Wycombe local area.

When determining the parking provision for developments within the Aylesbury Vale, Chiltern or South Bucks areas, please see the guidance for each respective Local Planning Authority:


I live on a privately maintained road. How do I go about getting it adopted so that it is maintained by Buckinghamshire Council?

Read our private road adoption guidance


My planning permission says that I have to obtain a Section 184 licence. What is this and how do I apply?

Apply for a Section 184 - Minor Works Agreement.


My planning permission says that I have to enter into a Section 278 agreement with Buckinghamshire Council. How do I apply and what information should I submit?

View our information about a Section 278 Agreement.


I am constructing an estate road and wish to offer it as highway maintained at public expense. How do I apply to enter into a Section 38 agreement and what information should I submit?

View our information about a Section 38 Agreement.


I need to find out highway extents or whether or not specific land is maintained by the County Council. Who do I contact?

These records are held by Buckinghamshire Council’s Local Land Charges Section. If you are seeking a CON29R or O search or highway extent information.

View our information about Highway and Con29 search enquiries.


Construction traffic associated with a development is tracking mud onto the road. How should I report this?

It is an offence under S151 of the Highways Act 1980 for vehicles leaving the development site to carry mud onto the public highway. Ultimately, enforcement of this lies with the police.

However, if you wish to bring it to the Highway Authority’s attention, report it to Transport for Buckinghamshire.

Fix My Street


Construction traffic is blocking the road. What should I do?

Wilful obstruction on or of the highway is an offence under S137 of the Highways Act 1980, and is enforceable only by the police.


Print entire guide

Last updated: 5 July 2021

Was this page helpful?

Very poor
Neither good nor poor
Very good