Learn My Way computer volunteer
We all know how vital digital skills and helping in the library as a Learn My Way volunteer is your opportunity to open up a whole new digital world to library customers.
Using the Learn My Way platform you will help people to gain the skills to send their first email or take their first steps online, through 1 to 1 computer tuition. Helping people who have never used a computer before, or those that just need to gain a little confidence, you will guide them towards being able to get the most out of the internet.
See Learn My Way sessions in libraries for more information.
You don't have to be a computer expert, patience and a general knowledge of the internet are all that is required and full training will be given.
Applying to volunteer in a library
Our library staff may contact you shortly to discuss your application and answer any questions you may have. Please contact us for more information about any volunteer role.
Before you start you will need:
- Details of 2 referees
Some volunteer roles require a DBS check to ensure the protection of vulnerable residents. We will advise you how this process is carried out if necessary.
- To discuss client's interests and look for the best ways to introduce them to the internet
- To work with library customers to introduce them to the internet and teach them basic online skills using the Learn My Way website
- To help to increase the confidence of customers when using the internet
Skills and abilities needed
- good knowledge of online packages and the internet
- confidence using computers and digital devices
- good verbal communication skills
- good literacy skills
- possible experience of delivering IT training
- able to commit to running regular training sessions