Home Library Service volunteer
Thehelps to keep Buckinghamshire residents, who find it difficult to visit a library connected to reading and their local community.
As a volunteer you will be matched to clients in your local area. You will choose books for them, based on their preferences and taking these to their homes once a month.
This is a great way to share your love of reading and help us to offer housebound customers, a connection to all the services the library has to offer.
Applying to volunteer in a library
Our library staff may contact you shortly to discuss your application and answer any questions you may have.
Before you start you will need:
- Details of 2 referees
Some volunteer roles require a DBS check to ensure the protection of vulnerable residents.
You must be 18 or over to apply to be a Home Library Service volunteer.
- To collect a selection of books and other library materials from a library and deliver these to a clients home
- To select items on their behalf based on their preferences
- To return these items for the client, visiting on average once a month
- To spend time with the client, discussing books and other interests
- To use the online catalogue to order items of interest for your clients (training will be given)
Skills and abilities needed
- Friendly and interested in others
- Able to commit to visiting clients on a regular basis
- Interest in books and reading
- Basic computer skills for use of the library catalogue
- To maintain client confidentiality