Kevin's sausage and mash
£2 per portion
Preparation time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 25 minutes
320 calories per portion.
- 4 carrots, chopped
- 300g swede or turnip, cut into chunks
700g potatoes, cut into chunks
- 8 reduced-fat sausages, or for a vegetarian
option try vegetarian sausages
- 1 tsp vegetable oil
- 1 large red onion, thinly sliced
- 100ml reduced-salt vegetable or chicken stock
- 200ml cold water
- 1 tbsp fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 tsp dried mixed herbs
- 2 tbsp corn flour blended with 1 tbsp of
- 1 pinch ground black pepper
- Cook the carrots, swede or turnip and potatoes in a large saucepan of gently boiling water for about 20 minutes, until tender.
- Meanwhile, preheat the grill. Arrange the sausages on the grill rack and start to cook them when the vegetables have been cooking for 10 minutes. Grill them for 10-12 minutes, turning often.
- At the same time, start to make the red onion gravy. Heat the vegetable oil in a large non-stick frying pan and add the onion, cooking until soft and lightly browned - about 3-4 minutes.
- Pour in the stock and water, add the herbs, then simmer for 4-5 minutes. Add the blended corn flour and stir until thickened. Keep hot over a low heat.
- Drain and mash the vegetables, seasoning with black pepper to taste. Serve 2 sausages per person with the delicious red onion gravy.
Public Health England recommends no more than 2,000 calories a day for women and 2,500 for men. Aim for 400 calories at breakfast, and 600 for lunch and 600 dinner, leaving room for a couple of healthy snacks.