Jane's delicious veggie chilli
£2.52 per portion
Preparation time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 50 minutes
410 calories per portion.
- 2 tsp vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 carrot, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 red chilli, deseeded and finely chopped
- 2 peppers, deseeded and chopped
- 300g frozen vegetarian mince
- 420g red kidney beans in water
- 400g chopped tomatoes
- 2 tsp tomato puree
- 100ml reduced-salt vegetable or chicken stock
- 200g easy-cook long grain brown rice
- 1 pinch of ground black pepper
- Heat the vegetable oil in a large saucepan
and add the onion. Fry gently for 2-3
minutes then add the carrot, garlic, red
chilli and peppers and fry for 2-3 minutes,
- Add the mince, beans, tomatoes, tomato
puree and stock.
- Bring to the boil, then reduce the heat
and simmer, partially covered, for 25-30
minutes. At the same time put the rice on
to cook in plenty of boiling water for
- Season the chilli with pepper and serve
with rice in warm bowls.
Public Health England recommends no more than 2,000 calories a day for women and 2,500 for men. Aim for 400 calories at breakfast, and 600 for lunch and 600 dinner, leaving room for a couple of healthy snacks.