Report an unauthorised Gypsy or Traveller site

You can report an unauthorised traveller site, known as an unauthorised encampment (UE), online.

UE's are defined as when a person or community intend to camp, live, or trespass on land they do not own. 

Report unauthorised site


How we deal with unauthorised sites

Illegal and unauthorised sites can cause tensions within local communities. In order to address this, the Planning and Enforcement Team created a 'Memorandum of Understanding' between:

  • Buckinghamshire County Council
  • District Councils
  • Thames Valley Police

The memorandum sets out an agreed process for dealing with these sites. This includes, assessing a site's impact and then speaking with landowners, settled communities, and those encamped.

Start by talking to them to see if a leaving date can be agreed. If this fails they can take proceedings in the County Court under the Civil Procedure Rules 1998 to obtain a court order for their eviction. 

No. If it is private land, it is usually the landowner’s responsibility.

The landowner must obtain planning permission from the District Council for a caravan site or is a farmer and the Gypsies/Travellers are helping with fruit picking etc.

If they are causing problems they will be moved on as soon as possible. In all cases, the site is visited and every effort made to make sure that the site is kept tidy and does not cause public health problems. 

No, the council must:

  • show the Gypsies/Travellers are on the land without consent
  • make enquiries regarding the general health, welfare and children’s education
  • ensure that the Human Rights Acts 1998 has been fully complied with
  • they must also follow a set procedure in terms of proving ownership of land and details of the UE that will enable them to obtain the necessary authority from the courts to order the site to be vacated

This will depend upon each individual case.

Yes. If there is an reason for them to stay on the site, or if the court believes that the council have failed to make adequate enquiries regarding the general health and welfare of the people. The Council must try to find this out before going to court.

The police will visit all sites reported to them. In certain circumstances, an officer may use powers under Section 61 of the Criminal Justice and Public Order Act 1994. These powers will only be used for serious criminality or public disorder and are capable of being addressed by normal criminal legislation.

The police are bound by the Human Rights Act and may be constrained to avoid using section 61 in circumstances where it would preclude welfare considerations from being applied by the civil courts.

The duty of the police is to keep the peace and prevent crime.


Was this page helpful?

Very poor
Neither good nor poor
Very good