Maintaining public rights of way

11/8/2021 11:32:50 AM

3. Structures on rights of way

Apply to us to erect or alter structures, such as gates on or across a public right of way.

  1. When a gate is required for stock control on farming land
  2. Where a structure is required for public safety
  3. When the Definitive Map and Statement records a structure as a limitation on the right of way. Provided that structure has not been removed for 20 years or more


New structures for stock control

The Disability Discrimination Act 1995 requires us to make reasonable adjustments to our services to enable them to be used by everyone. 

This means we would prefer simply leaving a gap, followed a simple gate structure. We no longer authorise stiles. 

To apply please complete the Section 147 Form (28 Kb)

Print entire guide

Last updated: 8 November 2021

Was this page helpful?

Very poor
Neither good nor poor
Very good