Skip to main content

Changes to Public Rights of Way

Buckinghamshire's Definitive Map and Statement

All public rights of way in Buckinghamshire - footpaths, bridleways or byways - are recorded in the Definitive Map and Statement. If a way is shown on the map then that is conclusive evidence of public rights along the way unless there has been a legally authorised amendment. However, the fact that a way is not shown on the map is not proof that the public has no rights over it and, thus, the map may be subject to change.

We have a statutory duty, under the Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981, to keep the map up to date. We also have a duty to investigate any application to add or delete rights of way or to change their status - either by upgrading or downgrading.

The map is accompanied by the Definitive Statement, which may contain more information about an individual path, such as start and end point, the width of the way, etc. The Definitive Map is available for inspection at County Hall, Centre for Buckinghamshire Studies and at parish council offices. Alternatively, Rights of Way can be viewed using our online map.

Apply for a for Definitive Map extract £31

Any additional questions will cost £7.70 each.


Was this page helpful?

1 star
Very poor
3 stars
Neither good nor poor
5 stars
Very good
Live Chat Software by Click4Assistance UK