Apply for the HS2 road safety fund
The government has made funding available to address issues that have been created or made worse by the construction of High Speed Two (HS2).
Buckinghamshire has an HS2 Road Safety Fund of £3.95m, which will be allocated in a series of tranches up to 2026. Applications for the first tranche of £1m to be allocated in 2021 have now closed and details of future funding rounds will be advised in due course.
The funding can be used towards the costs of:
- traffic calming measures
- safer pedestrian crossings
- safer junctions for pedestrians, equestrians, cyclists and drivers
Applications must meet all of the following eligibility:
- costs relate to measures which will improve a road safety issue caused or exacerbated as a result of HS2 construction activity but which is not identified for mitigation by HS2 Ltd
- the proposed scheme will leave a legacy of road safety beyond the period of HS2 construction
- the proposed scheme does not relate to road safety maintenance which is the responsibility of Buckinghamshire Council/ Transport for Buckinghamshire (TfB)
- full funding has not already been committed/provided for the proposed scheme, from other sources
- the proposed scheme does not directly conflict with adopted national or local policy or strategy
- work has not already started on implementation of the proposed scheme
£1m has been made available for the first tranche of funding in 2021 and applications for 35 road safety schemes with an estimated collective cost in excess of £4m, have been submitted.
All schemes have now been through stage 1 assessment by a panel of technical officers and have been scored and ranked, with recommendations approved by the RSF Board. All applicants have been advised whether or not their applications have been recommended to go forward for stage 2 assessment.
Stage 2 assessments which will include feasibility and design work will be completed between now and September 2021. Until then, it will not be possible to confirm all of the schemes which can be accommodated within the first tranche of funding.
Any applicants who believe their application has been incorrectly assessed at stage 1 may appeal the decision by sending an email setting out their grounds for appeal, within 28 days to email@example.com.
If you have any queries relating to the HS2 road safety fund, email firstname.lastname@example.org.