How to deal with a flood
1. Be prepared
There are a number of things you can do to ready yourself, your family and business for flooding before it happens.
- Have adequate insurance cover and take photos of your valuables
- Make sure you have all the information you need: keep an eye on the weather forecasts and sign up for flood warnings.
- Keep useful phone numbers in a handy place, these can include:
- Neighbours or relatives who might be able to help
- Your insurance policy details
- Contact details for public services
- Make a flood plan for your home or business
- Make sure your ‘grab bag’ is ready to go.
- Ensure you know how to turn off your gas, electricity and water supply.
- If you’ve got flood protection products that don’t function automatically, make sure they’re ready to be put in place.
- Make sure you know where to find sandbags and how to use them.
Print entire guide
Last updated: 11 August 2017