6/10/2022 3:44:32 PM
4. Improving gardens for wildlife
All of the gardens in Britain added together are, larger than all the nature reserves in Britain. There are a number of ways in which it can be enhanced in gardens including:
- Plant wildflowers, try to select native species.
- Plant nectar rich flowers for pollen
- The use of slug pellets may affect our hedgehog and garden birds
- Not using pesticides, these kill insects such as bees.
- Put up nest boxes for birds or bats
- Feed the birds, especially during winter
- Leaving areas of your lawn unmown
- Making sure your fences have a gap to allow the passage of small mammals
- Creating bug hotels for solitary bees and other animals
- A small wildlife pond, can attract a huge variety of species
- Planting native hedgerows instead of fencing
Print entire guide
Last updated: 10 June 2022