Have your say on home to school transport services
We are currently seeking public feedback on changes to home to school transport services. Find out more about the consultation which is open until 4 January 2019.
Transport for 16-19 year olds
The 16-19 Bursary Fund
A key priority of the Government is to close the gap between those from poorer and more affluent backgrounds, to ensure every young person benefits from a place in 16-19 education and training. It also provides funding through the Education Funding Agency’s (EFA) and through the £180 million 16-19 Bursary Fund. 2017/18 will be the seventh year of the 16-19 Bursary Fund. It is made up of two parts:
- Guaranteed bursaries of £1,200 a year.
- Young people in Care
- Care Leavers
- Young people claiming Income Support or Universal Credit
- Disabled young people in receipt of Employment Support Allowance and Disability Living Allowance (or Personal Independence payment)
- The rest of the fund is awarded on a discretionary basis by education institutions. They decide how to use this funding and can award discretionary bursaries to a student that is facing genuine financial barriers to participation. They have their own criteria, decide on how much is paid, and they set their own conditions for students to meet in order to receive a bursary.
To find out if you are eligible contact your school or college.
Our 16+ free travel scheme
We provide a 16+ free travel scheme for students who meet the criteria below:
- You have an Education, Health and Care Plan (EHCP) and
- You live in Buckinghamshire and
- You were born after 31 August 1998 and before 1 September 2001 and
- You live more than 3 miles walking distance from your chosen school or college and
- You will be taking a full-time further education course (or a similar course as deemed by the us) of at least 16 hours per week and
- You will be attending your nearest school or college that provides the course required and
- You are progressing to the next level of further education from the level of course you completed last year (
For those students staying on to 6th form/year 12, a paid-for place may be available on Council transport services.
You cannot join the scheme if:
- You do not meet all of the above criteria
- You will be undertaking a higher education course
- Re-taking or studying GCSEs only
- A similar (but not identical) course is available at a school/college which is nearer to travel to
- 16+ free travel scheme is determined by the SEN Team and you will be informed directly by the SEN Officer.