School transport information

All travel passes will be valid for travel until the student receives their new permanent pass, even if passes are temporary or are past their expiry date. Permanent passes will be issued between November and 23 December 2019 and we will let you know when your permanent pass is being sent to you.

Transport for 16 to 19 year olds

The 16 to 19 Bursary Fund

The 16 to 19 Bursary Fund provides financial support to help students overcome specific barriers to participation so they can remain in education.

There are 2 types of 16 to 19 bursaries:

  • bursaries for defined vulnerable groups of up to £1,200 a year
  • discretionary bursaries which institutions award to meet individual needs, for example, help with the cost of transport, meals, books and equipment

You could get up to £1,200 if at least one of the following applies:

  • you're in or recently left local authority care
  • you get Income Support or Universal Credit because you're financially supporting yourself
  • you get Disability Living Allowance (DLA) in your name and either Employment and Support Allowance (ESA) or Universal Credit
  • you get Personal Independence Payment (PIP) in your name and either ESA or Universal Credit


Discretionary bursary

Your school or college will have their own criteria for discretionary bursaries. They’ll look at your individual circumstances - this usually includes your family income.

You can apply for a discretionary bursary if you’re over 19 and either:

  • continuing on a course you started aged 16 to 18 (known as being a ‘19+ continuer’)
  • have an Education, Health and Care Plan (EHCP)

To find out if you are eligible contact your school or college.


16+ travel (September 2019 onwards)

Mainstream pupils

We will send an offer of  'paid-for' transport for all year 11 pupils using dedicated bus services, to take up if they are staying on at sixth-form at the same school or attending a Local FE College. Pupils wanting transport to a different school for sixth-form or are currently travelling on a taxi are able to apply for a 'paid-for' place by asking to be added to the paid-for waiting list.

Apply for paid-for school transport' 


Post 16 Transport for Pupils with an EHCP

There is no longer entitlement to free post-16 transport to schools and colleges but transport will still be made available at a charge.

Parents will be charged transport costs which have been set in line with the mainstream post 16 transport costs. 

Payments for 16-19 SEND transport: We apologise for the delay in confirming transport arrangements and information on how to pay for your child’s transport. During the next few weeks, we will send you guidance on how to make payments as well as confirmation of transport arrangements. The letter will include a unique customer number which must be used when making your payment.

Your child’s transport provision will continue during the Autumn term to allow time for bursary submissions to be processed or for payments to be made.


Our 16+ free travel scheme (2018/19 academic year only)

This is being phased out but continues for the remainder of the current academic year. We provide a 16+ free travel scheme for students who meet all the criteria below: 

  • you have an Education, Health and Care Plan (EHCP)
  • you live in Buckinghamshire
  • you were born after 31 August 1998 and before 1 September 2001
  • you live more than 3 miles walking distance from your chosen school or college
  • you will be taking a full time further education course (or a similar course as deemed by the us) of at least 16 hours per week
  • you will be going to your nearest school or college that provides the course required
  • you are moving to the next level of further education from the level of course you completed last year

For those students staying on to 6th form/year 12, a paid-for place may be available on council transport services.


You cannot join the scheme if:

  • you do not meet all of the above criteria
  • you will be undertaking a higher education course
  • you are re-taking or studying GCSEs only 
  • a similar (but not identical) course is available at a school/college which is nearer to travel to
  • 16+ free travel scheme is determined by the SEN Team and you will be informed directly by the SEN Officer

Was this page helpful?

Very poor
Neither good nor poor
Very good