Personal Transport Budgets
A Personal Transport Budget is money that is given to families with children who have Special Educational Needs and Disabilities (SEND), and who are eligible for transport to help them to get to their school or educational setting. It gives families the freedom and flexibility to make their own travel arrangements rather than relying on transport that we provide.
You can use a Personal Transport Budget in any way you want to make sure your child goes to school every day, is picked up and dropped off on time and is ready to learn.
Personal Transport Budgets are used in many ways. Some examples are to:
- pay for fuel and/or running costs on a family vehicle to drive your child to school
- hire a vehicle if you don’t have one
- pay for a shared taxi with other pupils
- pay for a trusted adult to take another child in the family to school to allow you to transport your child with SEND
- pay for childcare for another child in the family to allow you to transport your child with SEND
- buy a public transport travel pass for another child in the family so that they can travel to and from school, allowing you to transport your child with SEND *
- buy a public transport travel pass for yourself or a trusted adult to accompany your child *
- car share with other parents.
* Due to the phased easing of Covid restrictions, all parents/carers should refer to the government’s latest Coronavirus (COVID-19): safer travel guidance for passengers when using public transport.
Personal Transport Budgets are available to students of all ages with SEND who are eligible for transport and who:
- live within the area where Buckinghamshire is the local council
- have an Education, Health and Care Plan
- attend the school (s) or educational setting (s) outlined in their Education, Health and Care Plan.
There might be circumstances where a Personal Transport Budget is not appropriate. This could include where the Council can arrange transport for you at a lower cost. This will be assessed as part of the application process. The Council will make the final decision based on all the available information.
For more information about Personal Transport Budgets, please visit our additional webpages about: