Free School Transport
2. Families on a low income
There are special arrangements in place for children from families on a low income.
Children aged 11 to 16 from low income families are eligible if they attend one of their three nearest qualifying schools and live more than two miles, but not more than six miles away, or the nearest school selected for religious reasons more than two miles but not more than 15 miles away.
To qualify, your child will need to be entitled to Free School Meals because you receive one of these benefits:
- Income Support
- Income Based Job Seekers Allowance
- Employment Support Allowance (income related)
- Child Tax Credit with an annual gross income which is less than £16,190 (and not in receipt of Working Tax Credit)
- Support under Part VI of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999
- Guaranteed Element of State Pension Credit
- Working tax credit run-on (paid for 4 weeks after you stop being qualified for Working Tax Credit)
- Universal Credit
If your child is not entitled to Free School Meals, another benefit that is accepted is entitlement to the maximum level of Working Tax Credits, this means that there is no reduction due to income in the Working Tax Credits elements section of your HM Revenue & Customs award notice for the current tax year.
Last updated: 12 September 2017