Have your say on home to school transport services
We are currently seeking public feedback on changes to home to school transport services. Find out more about the consultation which is open until 4 January 2019.
Free School Transport
2. Families on a low income
Children aged 11 to 16 can apply if:
- they attend one of their three nearest schools and live more than two, but not more than six miles away
- or the nearest school for religious reasons more than two but not more than 15 miles away.
To qualify for free school meals, you must receive one of these benefits:
- Income Support
- Income Based Job Seekers Allowance
- Employment Support Allowance (income related)
- Child Tax Credit with an annual gross income less than £16,190 (and do not get Working Tax Credit)
- Support under Part VI of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999
- Guaranteed Element of State Pension Credit
- Working tax credit run-on (paid for 4 weeks after you stop being qualified for Working Tax Credit)
- Universal Credit
If your child is not entitled to Free School Meals, another benefit that is accepted is entitlement to the maximum level of Working Tax Credits. This means there is no reduction due to income in the Working Tax Credits section of your HM Revenue & Customs award notice for the current tax year.
Last updated: 18 December 2018