1. Entitlement to free School Transport
Free home to school transport is available if your child:
- is between 5-16 years old (of statutory school age)
- is attending their nearest suitable school
- lives further away from the school than the statutory walking distances (2 miles for pupils under 8, and 3 miles for those aged 8 and above)
Your child may also qualify for free transport to the nearest school if they are unable to walk for any of the following reasons:
- they have Special Educational Needs
- they have a disability or mobility problems
- there is no safe walking route
For Secondary age children, you can check if your child would be entitled to free school transport by using our free school transport tool.
For Primary age children, please contact us.
For a child who is qualified for grammar school, upper/all-ability schools are included when determining which is the nearest appropriate school, for transport purposes.
Please do not assume that an older sibling who is already using free transport will ensure entitlement to a sibling newly requiring transport to the same school.
If your allocation for a Secondary school place is made on 1 March 2018 and your child is entitled to free school transport from September 2018, we will write to you by the end of April 2018. If your child is allocated a place after the first allocation round and is entitled to free school transport, the date on which we will write to you will be given in your offer letter.
Please refer to the School Transport Policy for more details on eligibility for free transport.