Skip to main content
W​aiting Lists – Important Changes

This year we have changed the way we manage waiting lists.  Please make sure that you have read our Waiting Lists page to understand what you may need to do

Starting school or moving up to Junior school

8. What to do if you are moving house


You will know from reading the admission rules, how important it is that we know where your child is living. Your child’s Normal Home Address is the address you must use when making your application.

If you move after you have applied, you must give us evidence of this.

For the first round of allocations you need to provide evidence by 29 January 2018 to show that you have moved and are living in your new home. 

Academies, together with Foundation, Free and Voluntary-Aided schools, and schools in other areas may have different deadlines so check their rules carefully. 

If you are living abroad and are returning to a property in the UK, we will need to use your current overseas home address, unless you can provide evidence to show that you will be resident in our area by 29 January 2018.

If you move after 29 January 2018, we will use your new address for later rounds of allocations, once we have accepted it. Please look at Later allocation rounds for what to do if you move after this date.

We use the address where you are living on 29 January 2018 for the first round of allocations on 16 April 2018. If you have recently moved to this address you will need to provide the evidence before we will accept your new address.

 If you move from the address on your application after 29 January 2018, you must tell us and provide evidence to confirm your move. However, we will use your old address for the first round.

Evidence of moving

You will need to provide the following evidence of your move:

Type of house move

Evidence we need

Property Sale

  • A solicitor’s letter confirming the date that you have completed the purchase of your new home.
  • Evidence to show that you have disposed of your previous property or that it is no longer available for you and your family to live in (e.g. a solicitor’s letter confirming you have completed on the sale or a signed formal lease agreement to show you have leased it).
  • Copies of two of the following documents showing your new address; current Council Tax bill, driving licence, utility bill (showing usage) bank statement, or doctor’s registration letter for your child.

Property rental

  • A formal lease agreement, provided through an approved letting agency, confirming that your lease has started and showing that you will be living at the address for at least six months after 1 September 2018.
  • Evidence to show that you have disposed of your previous property or that it is no longer available for you and your family to live in (e.g. if you were previously leasing a different property, a letter from the letting agent to confirm the date you vacated that property or a solicitor’s letter confirming you completed on the sale of the property you owned).
  • Copies of two of the following documents showing your new address; current Council Tax bill, driving licence, utility bill (showing usage), bank statement, or doctor’s registration letter for your child.

Moving back from abroad to a property you already own

  • Proof that you own the property (e.g. Land Registry document). If the property is currently being leased, we need a copy of the written notice you have given tenants that you will be returning.
  • Copies of flight details for your return and passports.
  • A copy of the current Council Tax bill and a utility bill showing usage.

Child who is  permanently moving from one parent /carer to live with another

  • Written confirmation from both parents of the new arrangements.
  • A copy of the current Council Tax bill from the parent with whom the child is moving to live with.
  • Proof that Child Benefit is being paid to the parent with whom the child is going to be living with, or if Child Benefit if not received, a letter from the child’s GP confirming the address at which the child is registered.
  • We may also contact your child’s current school/nursery for confirmation and/or ask you to provide further evidence.

Refuge (domestic abuse)

  • Written confirmation from the refuge that you are currently residing there

Any other type of house move

Service/Crown Service Families

It is your responsibility to make sure we know you are a Service or Crown Servant family. 

Where Service families, or families of other Crown Servants, who often move within the UK and from abroad, are posted to the area, we will allocate school places in advance of the family move, if you provide an official government letter declaring a relocation date and an intended address. A Unit postal address, or quartering area address, will be sufficient if there is not a new home address. Where Service or Crown Servant families are returning to live in a property they already own, evidence of ownership will be needed. Please provide evidence by 12 February 2018, to be included in the first allocation round. 

Moving out of Buckinghamshire

If you are planning to move away from Buckinghamshire before September 2018, you should still apply to us by our deadline. If you are sure of your move you can include schools for your new address and we will pass on your preferences to your new home LA. If you think your move might be delayed or fall through you might like to still apply for a Buckinghamshire school. Once your move is confirmed, please tell us your new address and whether your child will be going to the school that has been offered, or a different school. You should then contact the Admissions Team for the area you have moved to.

Moving into Buckinghamshire 

If you plan to move into Buckinghamshire and will not have completed your move by the deadline of 29 January 2018, you must make your application to your current home LA. You can choose to put Buckinghamshire schools on your application ready for your new address and your home LA will tell us about your preferences.

If you currently live abroad and you will be moving to Buckinghamshire, then you should apply online providing evidence of your move and your current Home Address

Print entire guide

Last updated: 6 April 2018

Was this page helpful?

1 star
Very poor
3 stars
Neither good nor poor
5 stars
Very good
Live Chat Software by Click4Assistance UK