Primary or junior school allocation rounds

Offers for second allocation round will be emailed by 5pm on 20 May. If an offer cannot be made we will let you know your child’s waiting list position.

Starting school or moving up to junior school

18. Summer Born Children (April to August) – Delaying My Child’s School Start

If your child is summer born, you can apply for a place to start as usual in September 2020, after their 4th birthday, or you may decide you want to apply next year, to start in September 2020 after your child’s 5th birthday.

Generally, children should be educated in their normal age group (that is their correct chronological year). The curriculum should be amended as necessary to meet the needs of individual children.

Community and Voluntary-Controlled School only

If you are considering delaying your child’s school start you still need to complete a form to let us know that this is what you want to do, you can download the form here.  If you are not sure whether or not you want to delay your child’s school start you should submit an application for September 2020 which can be withdrawn once you have made your decision.

If you decide to delay your child’s start to school then we would normally expect your child to be in some sort of educational setting such as a nursery to prepare them for school the following year. 

Academy, Foundation and Voluntary-Aided Church School

For these schools it is the governors of the school who will make the decision as to whether or not they will agree to you delaying your child’s application for a school place with them.  You can download a form here and send it to us.  We will then let the school know of your request and notify you once they have made their decision.

For all schools if agreement is given to delay your child’s start to school this does not mean that a place will be held for your child at your preferred school until the following year. It means that you will be able to apply again for a place in Reception a year later. Your child may or may not be allocated a place at your preferred school.            

As the law currently stands , when your child transfers to junior or secondary school, the admission authority for that school will make the decision on whether or not to allow them to continue out of their chronological year group – it may be prudent to ‘rehearse’ this conversation with them before making your decision.

Print entire guide

Last updated: 4 May 2020

Was this page helpful?

Very poor
Neither good nor poor
Very good