Skip to main content

Starting school or moving up to Junior school

17. Delayed Entry for Summer Born Children

Delayed entry to school is where a parent holds back their child from joining the correct year group for their age so that they start school a year later than they are due to, into the Reception class.

Whilst you are considering delayed entry, you are still advised to submit an application for a school place for the September following your child’s fourth birthday. You can always withdraw your application or decline the offer if it is agreed that your child should be held back a year.

If the admission authority for the school agrees that your child should have a delayed start to Reception this does not mean that a place will be held for your child at your preferred school until the following year. It means that you will be able to apply again for a place in Reception a year later. Your child may or may not be allocated a place at your preferred school.


If you have decided that you want to request delayed entry you should read the information on the Placement of Pupils out of their Chronological year Group.

You need to submit your request by 15 January 2018 which is the latest for you to make your application. 

A panel of educational professionals will consider all requests for community and voluntary-controlled schools at a meeting at the end of February and you will be advised of the outcome by the end of March.  A second meeting will be held in June and applications will need to be submitted 25 May 2018

For all other schools i.e. Academies, Free Schools, Foundation and Voluntary-Aided it is the school that will make the decision unless they have delegated that function to the LA panel.

Print entire guide

Last updated: 27 October 2017

Help us to improve Buckinghamshire County Council

Don't include personal or financial information like your National Insurance number or credit card details.