Skip to main content

Moving up to secondary school

9. What to do if you are moving house

If you move after you have applied, you must give us evidence of this.

For the first round of allocations you need to provide evidence to show that you have moved and are already living in your new home by 31 October 2018 so we can use your new address when we consider your school preferences. 

Academies, together with Foundation, Free and Voluntary-Aided schools, and schools in other areas may have different deadlines so check their rules carefully. At the moment, the only school in Buckinghamshire with different moving deadlines is Dr Challoner's Grammar School.

If you are living abroad and are returning to a property in the UK, we will need to use the address that you are currently living at, unless you can provide evidence to show that you will be resident in our area by 31 October 2018.

If you move after the date given above, we will use your new address for later rounds of allocations, once we have accepted it. Please see evidence deadlines if you move after these dates. 

We use the address where you are living on 31 October 2018 for the first round of allocations on 1 March 2019. If you have only recently moved to this address you will need to provide the evidence before we will accept your new address.

If you move from the address on your application after 31 October 2018, you must tell us and provide evidence to confirm your move. However, we will use your old address for the first round.

Please see the later information if you are a Service Family or a family of other Crown Servants.

Evidence of moving

You will need to provide the following evidence of your move:

Type of house move

 Evidence we need 

Property sale

  • A solicitor’s letter confirming the date that you have completed the purchase of your new home. 
  • Evidence to show that you have disposed of your previous property or that it is no longer available for you and your family to live in (e.g. a solicitor’s letter confirming you have completed on the sale or a signed formal lease agreement to show you have leased it).
  • Copies of two of the following documents showing your new address; current Council Tax bill, driving licence, utility bill (showing usage), bank statement, or doctor’s registration letter for your child.

Property rental

  • A formal lease agreement, provided through an approved letting agency, confirming that your lease has started and showing that you will be living at the address for at least six months after 1 September 2019.
  • Evidence to show that you have disposed of your previous property or that it is no longer available for you and your family to live in (e.g. if you were previously leasing a different property, a letter from the letting agent to confirm the date you vacated that property or a solicitor’s letter confirming you completed on the sale of the property you owned).
  • Copies of two of the following documents showing your new address; current Council Tax bill, driving licence, utility bill (showing usage), bank statement, or doctor’s registration letter for your child.

Moving back from abroad to a property you already own

  • Proof that you own the property (e.g. Land Registry document). If the property is currently being leased, we need a copy of the written notice you have given the tenants that you will be returning.
  • Copies of both flight details for your return and passports.
  • A copy of the current Council Tax bill and a utility bill showing usage.

Child permanently moving from one parent/carer to live with another

  • Written confirmation from both parents of the new arrangements.
  •  A copy of the current Council Tax bill from the parent with whom the child is moving to live with.
  • Proof that Child Benefit is being paid to the parent with whom the child is going to be living with, or if Child Benefit is not received, a letter from the child’s GP confirming the address at which the child is registered.
  • We may also contact your child’s current school for confirmation and/or ask you to provide other further evidence.

Refuge (domestic abuse)

  • Written confirmation from the refuge that you are currently residing there.

Any other type of house move 

Service/Crown Servant Families

It is your responsibility to make sure we know you are a Service or Crown Servant family.

Where Service families, or families of other Crown Servants, who often move within the UK and from abroad, are posted to the area, we will allocate school places in advance of the family move, if you provide an official government letter declaring a relocation date and an intended address. A Unit postal address, or quartering area address, will be sufficient if there is not a new home address. Where Service or Crown Servant families are returning to live in a property they already own, evidence of ownership will be needed. You will need to provide evidence by 31 January 2019, to be included in the first allocation round. Deadlines for later rounds of allocation can be found here.

Moving out of Buckinghamshire

If you are planning to move away from Buckinghamshire before September 2019, you should still apply to us by our deadline. If you are sure of your move you can include schools for your new address and we will pass on your preferences to your new home LA. If you think your move might be delayed or fall through you might like to still apply for a Buckinghamshire school. Once your move is confirmed, please tell us your new address and whether your child will be going to the school that has been offered, or a different school. You should then contact the Admissions Team for the area you have moved to.

Moving into Buckinghamshire 

If you plan to move into Buckinghamshire and will not have completed your move by the deadline of 31 October 2018, you must make your application to your current home LA. You can choose to put Buckinghamshire schools on your application ready for your new address and your home LA will tell us about your preferences.

If you currently live abroad and are moving to Buckinghamshire, then you should apply online providing evidence of your move and your Normal Home Address.

The Secondary Transfer Testing registration deadline is now passed. We will only accept late applications for testing if you can provide evidence to show that your child has very recently moved into the area or there are supported exceptional reasons for the lateness of your application.

Print entire guide

Last updated: 18 December 2018

Live Chat Software by Click4Assistance UK

Was this page helpful?

1 star
Very poor
3 stars
Neither good nor poor
5 stars
Very good