Moving up to secondary school

4/12/2021 6:17:06 PM

15. Changing your preferences

Think carefully about whether you need to change your school preferences. We would normally only expect parents to change their preferences in exceptional circumstances, a house move for example. 

If you do need to change your preferences, be realistic in your expectations. You can use the 'Find my child a school place' service to check any school details and should also view allocation information. Other LAs will have information about the allocations for schools in their area on their websites.

Change of preferences are not accepted for the second round of allocations.

We will only accept changes of preferences from 1 April to 15 April for the third allocation round. Please use our Contact Us form to advise us. We will not accept any changes before 1 April.

For later allocation rounds, please 
see the deadlines for preference changes for inclusion in the third and later rounds.

If you decide to make changes, you need to send us your new list of preferences using our Contact Us form. New preferences and changes of preference order will only be considered from the third allocation round. This list becomes your new preference order and we automatically put your child on the waiting list for each of the schools, as long as your child is eligible.

You can include original preferences amongst any new ones as long as the order is clear. If you list schools in other LA areas, we will let them know.

We can only consider Buckinghamshire grammar school preferences if your child;

  • qualified in the Secondary Transfer Test or
  • qualified through Selection Review or
  • was qualified for admission to a particular grammar school by the Independent Appeal Panel but a place was not available and the appeal for a place at that particular school was not successful.

Only children who have taken The Highcrest Academy’s banding test can go on that school’s waiting list.


Ask for an Admission Appeal

As your child was not offered a place at the school you would like, you can ask for an Admission Appeal.  Your child’s name will already be on the school's waiting list. However, only qualified children will be on grammar school waiting lists. Please read the appeals section for more information.


Print entire guide

Last updated: 12 April 2021

Was this page helpful?

Very poor
Neither good nor poor
Very good