Skip to main content

Changing school in-year

1. Making an in-year application

How you make an application will depend on why you wish to move school. If you wish to move schools but are not moving house, you will need to speak to the headteacher of your existing school for an application form. If you are moving house you can use our online application form. If you are moving to grammar school your child will need to take a transfer test.

You can only make an in year application 6 weeks before you intend to move schools.

If you wish to for child to start in September 2018 please see our Timeline for in-year September 2018 entry.

Check for school places

Many Buckinghamshire schools will already be full and may only have occasional vacancies when a child leaves the school. 

Check school spaces 

As vacancies can change on a daily basis any information about vacancies received direct from a school, is only valid at the time the information is provided.

Fair Access Protocol

We have a Fair Access Protocol which ensures that vulnerable groups of children can quickly access school places and that all schools take an equal number of children who may, for a variety of reasons, need more support. These children can take precedence over all other children on a school's continuing interest list. Please note that removing your child from their current school when you do not have an alternative school place for them will not give them priority under Fair Access.

Print entire guide

Last updated: 17 November 2017

Help us to improve Buckinghamshire County Council

Don't include personal or financial information like your National Insurance number or credit card details.