Changing school in-year

1. Making an in-year application

How you make an application will depend on why you wish to move school:

  • if you wish to move schools but are not moving house, you will need to speak to the headteacher of your existing school for an application form
  • if you are moving house you can use our online application form
  • if you are moving to grammar school your child will need to take a transfer test

You can only make an in-year application 6 weeks before you intend to move schools.

Please note that from 28 June we will only accept applications for immediate admission into school, if your child is without a school place e.g. if you have moved into the area.  If you want to move your child from one school to another, then the application will be considered for September 2019


If you wish for your child to start in September 2019 please see our Timeline for in-year September 2019 entry.


Find the schools near to you

Use our 'Find your child a school place' service to find information about the schools you are interested in including:

  • catchment areas
  • OFSTED report
  • admission numbers
  • admission rules


Check for school places

Many Buckinghamshire schools will already be full and may only have occasional vacancies when a child leaves the school. 

Check school spaces 

As vacancies can change on a daily basis any information about vacancies received direct from a school, is only valid at the time the information is provided.


Fair Access Protocol

We have a Fair Access Protocol which ensures that vulnerable groups of children can quickly access school places.

The protocol ensures that all schools take an equal number of children who may, for a variety of reasons, need more support. These children can take precedence over all other children on a school's continuing interest list. 

Please note that removing your child from their current school when you do not have an alternative school place for them, will not give them priority under Fair Access.

Print entire guide

Last updated: 24 June 2019

Was this page helpful?

Very poor
Neither good nor poor
Very good