2. Children missing education
The Government has placed a duty on local authorities to make arrangements to establish (so far it is possible to do so) the identities of children in their area who are of compulsory school age and not receiving a suitable education (ie children missing education).
Children not receiving a suitable education are at increased risk of a range of negative outcomes that could have long term damaging consequences for their life chances.
We are committed to ensuring that all pupils who go missing from schools in the county, or who disappear from other counties and may have arrived in Buckinghamshire, are speedily located.
As far as possible we aim to ensure:
- The whereabouts are known of all pupils who go missing, who move to other areas or who are lost from schools in Buckinghamshire.
- Partnership is established with other local authorities (LAs) and agencies to locate missing/lost pupils who may have moved across boundaries.
- Children missing education are identified and suitable provision is made for the child's educational needs.
Children fall out of the educational system because they:
- Fail to start appropriate provision and never enter the system;
- Cease to attend due to illegal exclusion or withdrawal;
- Fail to complete a transition between providers (eg unable to find a suitable school place after moving into a new local authority area or after leaving a custodial establishment).
- Are removed by their parents.
Contact us if you think a child is missing education on 01296 382835 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Last updated: 4 April 2017