Support for children with special educational needs and disabilities (SEND)

Special educational needs and disabilities (SEND) can affect a child or young person’s ability to learn. If you think your child may have special educational needs, contact the Special Educational Needs Coordinator or 'SENCO' in your child's school, college, or nursery.


Support your child can receive

Your child may be eligible for:

  • support given in school, nursery/preschool, or college (e.g advice from specialist teachers)
  • an education, health and care (EHC) plan
  • care for children and young people aged up to 25 who have more complex needs

You can find out more about the support available on our Local Offer for SEND.

Our SEN team carry out an Education, Health and Care Needs (EHC) assessments and issue EHC plans where needed. 

Contact us


Free confidential and impartial information, advice and support

If you would like information and support for a child or young person with SEND, contact Buckinghamshire's SENDIAS Service

We are an impartial team of advisers with expertise in supporting parents, children and young people on issues related to SEND.  

Bucks SENDIAS Service
Telephone: 01296 383 754


Print entire guide

Last updated: 13 April 2021

Was this page helpful?

Very poor
Neither good nor poor
Very good