Apply for a permit to employ a child

Children of compulsory school age, working before or after school, at weekends or during school holidays, must have an employment permit issued by the local authority.

School age children working part time

Under the Children and Young Person Act 1933, a child wanting to work:

  • must be 13 years or over before they get a part-time job
  • cannot work during school hours
  • can only work between 7 am and 7 pm
  • can only work for 2 hours on a Sunday
  • can only work for 12 hours per week in term time
  • must have a 1 hour break if they work more than 4 continuous hours
  • age 13-14 can only work for up to 5 hours per day and up to 25 hours a week in the holidays
  • age 15-16 can only work for up to 8 hours per day and up to 35 hours a week in the holidays
  • under Buckinghamshire's child employment byelaws, there are some jobs children aren't allowed to do
  • if your child is Electively Home Educated please contact us to discuss before applying

Permit requirements

Employers are legally responsible for applying for permits for the children they employ. They must complete the Permit Application Form, ensure the parent/guardian signs it, and send it to us within 7 days of the child starting work.

If a child lives in Buckinghamshire but works in another county, they will need to contact that authority for a permit

Each permit is specific to the job and employer, therefore, if a child has more than one job, a permit is required for each.

You don't need a permit once the child is no longer of compulsory school age ie from the last Friday of June in Year 11.

You don't need a permit for work experience arranged by the school. If this leads to employment, a permit will be required.

Find out more about child employment regulations



Was this page helpful?

Very poor
Neither good nor poor
Very good