Apply for a chaperone licence
Applying to become a chaperone for children who perform
Children who require a performance licence must be chaperoned by either the child’s parent/legal guardian or an approved (licensed) adult chaperone. Relatives (grandparents, siblings, aunts, uncles etc.) or nanny, child minders cannot chaperone a child unless they hold a Chaperone Licence obtained from the local authority where they live.
There are two types of licenses:
- Professional (if you are paid to chaperone) Enhanced DBS £62 Training £30.
- Volunteer (if you are not paid to chaperone) Enhanced DBS £18 Training £15
We can only consider an approval to be a chaperone if:
- You live within Buckinghamshire County Council's local authority – check if your home address falls within our area at www.gov.uk/find-your-local-council and enter your home postcode.
- You are 18 years or over
Chaperone Application Process
Please read before completing your application:
- Complete the application form remembering to state whether you are either applying to be a Professional or Volunteer chaperone. Also note which organisation/agency you belong to.
- Pay for your Enhanced DBS and your Training. Note: if you are registered with the updating service do not complete DBS, contact us with your DBS Certificate Number.
- Password - When we receive your application and confirmation of payments we will email you a User Name and Password and details for completing your DBS form online.
- Once you have completed the above Phone 01296 382056/3512 to arrange an appointment for your DBS ID document check. Checks take place at Buckinghamshire County Council Offices. Note: ID checks must take place within 4 weeks of completing your DBS form.
- Training dates - Phone 01296 382056/3512 to book a place.
- Attend training - 2 hour course that includes safeguarding and performance legislation relevant to chaperoning children in entertainment. You do not need any writing materials, we issue information packs. Payment can be paid for training through the Bucks County Council website system using original reference number and DBS Number, or can be paid on the training day by cheque or cash.
- Chaperone Licence ID Cards are issued when all of the above have taken place and are valid for 3 years from the date of issue and should be carried at all times when chaperoning children in entertainment.
Additional Information - DBS Update Service - For a small annual subscription of £13 (free for Volunteers) applicants can have their DBS Certificate kept up-to-date and take it with you from role to role, within the same workforce, where the same type and level of check is required (teacher, youth worker, charity worker, dance teacher etc.). If you want to use the Updating Service once you receive your DBS certificate register at secure.crbonline.gov.uk with your certificate number. You must do this directly with DBS online within 19 days of receipt of your certificate. You can view your details online at www.secure.crbonline.gov.uk once you have registered.