Archive resources for schools
2. Resources for School Projects in the Local Studies Library
We have a large number of sources that can help students with school projects. Our Local Studies Library is able to provide advice and support for students in using them.
Amongst other subjects, we have helped past students with:
- GCSE Geography projects examining how a chosen town or village conforms to particular geographical model
- history projects looking at drawing up a historical picture of a particular town or village
Sources available to consult
- Ordnance Survey maps from 1899, 1925 and 1960 and a digital map from 2000 to show the physical change of a chosen place over the last 100 years.
- Goad Maps of the larger towns in the County, showing the layout and shops of the town centre.
- Geological maps covering Buckinghamshire and the surrounding areas.
- Online databases of historical photographs of Buckinghamshire.
- Photographic history books of many Buckinghamshire towns.
Local history library
- A range of books covering a variety of subjects and places in the local area.
- Folders of pamphlets, sale catalogues and other material of local history interest, arranged by place and by subject.
- Population graphs every ten years from 1801 to 2001.
- Access to the censuses from 1841 to 1901, which give names and occupations of people in Buckinghamshire towns and villages.
- Kelly's Post Office Directories giving names and occupations of Buckinghamshire people from the late 18th Century until 1939.
Last updated: 1 July 2020